Star Wars Weekends
Weekends May 16 - June 15, 2014
From the special “welcome” Guests receive at the park entrance from the stormtroopers and Star Wars trivia contests to Jedi Training Academy, Star Wars Weekends will have more fun than you can shake a gaffi stick at. Join Jedi, Sith, Ewoks, Wookiees, galactic bounty hunters and stormtroopers for the park’s annual celebration of all-things-Star Wars.
At Star Wars Weekends, you can "Meet-and-Greet" with famous villains and heroes from the entire Star Wars saga. Never let your guard down though, guests never know which Star Wars character they'll find around the corner! Coming face to face with an armed Storm Trooper is not uncommon! Guests can also experience one of the largest Star Wars parades in the world during the day.
Jedi Training Academy, one of the interactive entertainment experiences at the theme park, is expanded during the event and allows young guests to learn from a Jedi Master before testing their newly acquired skills in a battle with Darth Vader or Darth Maul. Also featured: the chance for fans to purchase one-of-a-kind and limited edition Star Wars memorabilia, Star Wars trivia and star conversations with Star Wars celebrities.
The event runs for 5 consecutive weekends (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) in May and June at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Each weekend, different Star Wars celebrities are special guests and take part in meet-and-greets, interviews and Hollywood-style motorcades. Over 50 Star Wars characters from the entire saga will be featured.
Event activities are included in regular theme park admission to Disney's Hollywood Studios.
New for Star Wars Weekends 2014 - Join the Rebellion
Star Wars Fireworks: Darth Sidious (aka Emperor Palpatine) has issued a new galactic decree about Star Wars Weekends 2014. The Emperor has ordered his Galactic Empire to create a demonstration of force and power that can be seen high above Disney’s Hollywood Studios during Star Wars Weekends 2014. This has caused much talk in the galaxy that a gala fireworks show featuring Star Wars music will be presented each evening this year. The "Symphony in the Stars" Fireworks show will take place at 9:45 p.m.
Star Wars Weekend Extended: Plus, in order to convince more guests to join the Rebellion, the Rebel Alliance has added a 5th weekend to Star Wars Weekends. The new event dates are every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from May 16-June 15, 2014. The theme for this year’s event is, appropriately, “Join the Rebellion.”
Star Wars Themed Character Meals: From May 4 - June 15, 2014, Star Wars Character Meals will be featured every day of the week at several of Hollywood Studios restaurants. Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater will feature a galactic breakfast experience, while guests can enjoy a Star Wars character dinner at the Hollywood & Vine restaurant. Don't delay! These special meals can be booked beginning March 26, 2014 by calling (407) 939-5277 between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. and are sure to sell out quickly. A credit card guarantee is required at time of booking. The usual 24 hour cancellation policy with a $10 penalty per person applies.
- Star Wars Galactic Dine-In Breakfast
Location: Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater
Times: 8 a.m. until noon
Cost: $47.99 adults; $29.99 children (ages 9 and under)
Disney Dining Plan: 2 table credits
Characters: Stormtroopers, Jawa, Greedo, Boba Fett, and DARTH VADER
Extras: Includes a digital photo of your party with Darth Vader on a commemorative PhotoPass card
Additional Info: The usual science fiction clips featured on the restaurant's drive-in screen will be replaced with Star Wars trailers, clips, and music during these special meals.
- Jedi Mickey’s Star Wars Dine
Location: Hollywood and Vine
Times: 4:15 p.m. until park closing ( 8 - 9:30 p.m.)
Cost: $55.99 adults; $33.99 children (ages 9 and under)
Disney Dining Plan: 2 table credits
Characters: Ewok Chip & Dale, Jedi Mickey, Leia Minnie, Darth Goofy, and/or Stormtrooper Donald
Extras: Includes a digital photo of your party with Chip and Dale dressed as Ewoks on a commemorative PhotoPass card
Additional Info: A Fantasmic dinner package is also available for this meal that includes a VIP seating voucher for Fantasmic for each member of your party; cost is $59.99 for adults and $36.99 for children (ages 9 and under).
D-Tech Me & Stormtrooper Experiences Return with New Options: Relive the famous carbon freezing scene from The Empire Strikes Back as Disney brings back the "Carbon-Freeze Me" experience. Using state-of-the-art imaging technology, your likeness will be scanned and cast as a three-dimensional, figurine that recreates Han Solo trapped in carbonite but with your face. Also returning is the Stormtrooper experience with fan faces. New for 2014, Alderaan Princess and X-Wing Pilot figures will also be offered.
Figurines can be purchased in 7- and 16- inch versions. These 10-minute experiences use the world’s highest-resolution, single-shot 3D face scanner. The captured image is later sent to a high resolution 3D printer to create the figurine. There are both male and female options offered for X-Wing pilot, Carbon-Freeze Me and Stormtrooper figurines. For children, Alderaan Princess and Carbon-Freeze Me figurines will be available in more youthful appearances. The cost for the 7 inch figures are $99.95, and the 16 inch figures will cost $1,499.95. Tax and shipping will be added to all figurines and all participants will receive a specially designed button. Your figurine will be shipped to your home in approximately six to eight weeks. Disney has also announced that guests who purchase a figurine last year can have their prior face scan added to a different figurine this year.
To book your experience, call 407-WDW-TECH (407-939-8324). You must be at least 3 to participate. A valid accepted credit card number is required at time of booking. Reservations must be cancelled at least 48 hours prior to scheduled experience or a $25 cancellation fee will be applied to your credit card. The experiences, due to their personalized nature, are non-refundable and not eligible for an exchange. Children must be accompanied by an adult at least 18 years of age or older during the entire experience. The D-Tech Experience is located inside Darth’s Mall, the highly themed merchandise destination located in Soundstage 1 between Studio Backlot Tour and Toy Story Midway Mania.
Rebel Rendezvous: Also new for 2104, Disney is introducing a separately ticketed merchandise event called Rebel Rendezvous. The event takes place on May 15, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and gives guests access to Darth's Mall and the Star Wars Weekend merchandise one day before Star Wars opens to the general public. Packages for this event are $250 per person and include a limited edition recruitment pack, featuring a custom messenger bag, cadet hat, tumbler, lanyard, pin & medal set. A meet & greet and product signing with Ashley Eckstein and Rebel activities, including special meet & greet and signing opportunities with characters and Disney artists are also included in the event. Rebel Rendezvous guest will also be some of the first individuals to experience Star Wars – D-Tech Me. Guests may begin registering for this event on March 4 at 1:00 p.m. Eastern on the Disney Parks Merchandise website.
Ultimate Star Wars Weekends VIP Tour: With this new 7-hour VIP Tour, guests receive special access to Star Wars Weekends activities (best seats for shows at the Premiere Theater, reserved viewing for Legends of the Force Motorcade and special shopping time at Darth’s Mall) and expedited attraction access (Star Tours, Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, Toy Story Mania, and more), a private continental breakfast at the Hollywood Brown Derby, table service lunch, and a VIP Viewing and Dessert Party for the new Symphony of the Stars Fireworks. Cost is $499 plus tax, per person (theme park admission not included). For more information or to reserve, call 407-934-7973. Space is limited.
Hyperspace Hoopla Discountinued: Sadly, Hyperspace Hoopla, the high-energy show in which Star War characters competed in a "dance-off" will not take place in 2014. A "nightly curtain call moment" with several of the Star Wars characters will take it's place each evening on the Socerer's Hat stage just prior to fireworks.
2014 Celebrity Schedule
Celebrities will be posted as they become available. Schedule subject to change.
James Arnold Taylor - the voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi in “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” will return as Official Celebrity Host of Star Wars Weekends 2014. Typically, Taylor stars each weekend in a one-man show that showcases some of the many voices he has performed throughout his career.
Weekly Celebrity Guests:
Weekend I: May 16 - May 18:
Weekend II: May 23 - May 25:
Weekend III: May 30 - June 1:
Weekend IV: June 6 - June 8:
Mark Hamill - The legendary actor who played Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars saga will appear daily in the “Legends of the Force” parade and “Stars of the Saga” talk shows. Hamill’s appearances will most likely be a very popular gathering place for members of the Empire and the Rebellion, so be sure to arrive early.
Weekend V: June 13 - June 15:
Special Events and Activities
Hollywood Studios hours are from 8/9 a.m. to 10/11 p.m. on Star Wars Weekend dates. However, turnstiles usually begin admitting guests into the park between 7:15 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. Those wishing celebrity autographs should use the bag check line to the far right.
Encounter over 60 Star Wars characters from the entire saga - and a few new ones. From Darth Vader and Darth Maul to Anakin and Chewbacca, you'll find some of your favorite heroes and villains from a galaxy far, far away.
Legends of the Force
Autograph opportunities are not the only place to see the celebrities. Star Wars stars also take part in the gala "Legends of the Force" parade. The motorcade begins at the front of the park and travels to the Sorcerer Hat Stage, concluding with a grand celebrity welcome. The ultimate themed motorcade takes place at 11:00 a.m. each day of Star Wars Weekends.
Star Wars Weekends host James Arnold Taylor, along with 4 visiting celebrities, highlight the day’s events and give you an exclusive Star Wars Weekends photo opportunity. Takes place at the Sorcerer Hat Stage at approximately 11:15 a.m.
Appearing on the Star Wars Weekends Event Stage
- Stormtrooper Patrol - Be on the lookout for 2 Imperial Stormtroopers as they walk the Star Wars Weekends Event Stage (Sorcerer Hat), imparting Imperial info and their own unique brand of investigation. Proceed with caution or you just might become the focus of their next unique observations.
- Boba Fett Patrol - Keep an eye peeled for Boba Fett as the most relentless bounty hunter in all the galaxy strolls and patrols the Star Wars Weekends Event Stage (Sorcerer Hat). Get up close and verbally interact with the villain...but be wary, or you could end up his next bounty!
Jedi Training Academy
Jedi hopefuls learn the ways of the Force before coming face to face with Darth Vader to test their skills with a lightsaber. Child must be between the ages of 4 and 12 to participate. Sign up is in front of Indiana Jones Epic Theater (across from American Idol Experience) at park opening to secure your spot. Both parent (or adult over 18) and child must be present when signing up. Sign up after park opening as spots go fast. Twelve guests will be selected for each show. Availability is limited and on a first-come, first-"sabered" basis. During Star Wars Weekends, additional characters may take part in this experience. The Jedi Training Academy takes place on the Star Tours Stage.
Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
Experience droids, Starspeeders and out-of-this-world destinations, all in 3D, at Disney's Star Tours attraction. This attraction takes guests through one of 54 possible sequences - and you never know which journey you'll get!
Padawan Mind Challenge
Kids ages 11 and under test their Star War knowledge before the Jedi Council. Younglings use your Star Wars: The Clone Wars knowledge to pass the trivia trials and become an official Padawan learner. All participants receive a prize. C3PO is usually on hand to provide some laughs. Registration begins at the Event Information Table near ABC Sound Studio (across from Indiana Jones) at Park opening. Both parent (or adult over 18) and child must be present when signing up. Sign up early as spots for the two afternoon sessions go fast. Takes place on the Sorcerer Hat Stage twice per day at approximately 2:10 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Celebrity Talk Shows
Experience the fascinating life and movie making adventures of visiting celebrities at Disney's Hollywood Studio's Premiere Theater (located near Muppet Vision 3D).
Photo and Autograph Opportunities
Snap a pic' of your favorite Star War characters and celebrities each weekend during the month-long event or have a memento signed by Star Wars celebrities! As always, there is no additional charge for the celebrity autograph sessions at Star Wars Weekends. The autograph lines will once again be handled via a FASTPASS-type system. A Disney's FASTPASS ensures your place in line at the celebrity autograph kiosk outside the Front Gate entrance. Get there early to get one! One autograph (signed photo or memorabilia) per Guest. If you don't have an item to be signed, a small photo card will be available at the autograph table. See more about Autograph FASTPASS in our tips below.
Special Star Wars Merchandise
Blast into Star Wars Weekends 2014 with limited edition pins, artwork and collectibles for the entire family! Plus, there are always special opportunities for artist signings and book signings. The artists will be at Darth's Mall, located in Soundstage 1 between Studio Backlot Tour and Toy Story Midway Mania.
TheMouseForLess Tips for Star Wars Weekends
• Look for Star Wars-themed treats throughout the park. Many are offered in special souvenir Star Wars mugs and snack buckets. The Darth Vader cupcake – rich chocolate-peanut butter filling and chocolate frosting with Darth Vader topping the confection - is always popular. You’ll find it at ABC Commissary, Pizza Planet, Backlot Express, Studio Catering Company, Starring Rolls, Rosie’s All-American Cafe, Fairfax Faire and Darth's Mall. The cupcake also qualifies as a snack on the Disney Dining Plan. Kids Power Packs in R2D2 bucket are typically available at Sunset Ranch Market, Pizza Planet, Backlot Express, Studio Catering Company and ABC Commissary. Temporary bars are usually located outside Animation Courtyard, Sci-Fi Dine-in, 50′s Prime Time Cafe, and Mama Melrose and offer to special Star Wars drinks. Non-alcoholic versions for the kiddies are also available.
• Grab a FASTPASS outside the Front Gate entrance before the park opens to ensure your place in line for celebrity autographs. FASTPASS quantities are extremely limited and are issued on a first-come, first-served basis. Show up between 3 a.m. to 5 a.m. to queue up if you want an autograph from the top stars, like Ray Park or Jeremy Bulloch. Some fans start lining up overnight! For most other celebrities you can arrive by 6:30 a.m. Join the line of the celebrity you would most like to meet. While in line, you will receive a wristband. Handouts start around 6 a.m. for early arrivals, followed by a security bag check and FASTPASSes around 6:30 a.m. Your Theme Park admission media and wristband allow you to receive one FASTPASS ticket. Only one autograph FASTPASS ticket will be given per guest. Please note that each Guest must be present to receive a FASTPASS. Guests may not get a FASTPASS for other members of their party, nor may Guests save a place in any FASTPASS line for other party members. After receiving your ticket, continue to wear your wristband. You will need to be wearing your wristband to get an autograph. Your FASTPASS ticket will have a designated autograph return time. Until that time, you may enjoy other Star Wars Weekends activities. At your designated time, proceed to the celebrity autograph location at Echo Lake to show your wristband and present your FASTPASS ticket. Once FASTPASS tickets for visiting celebrities have been distributed (typically, about 75 FastPasses are given to meet Ray Parks), Disney may issue stand-by tickets. Stand-by tickets, however, do not guarantee that you will get an autograph.
• Buses beginning running to Disney's Hollywood Studios from Disney owned resorts at approximately 6:45 a.m. For those who don't have a car and wish to arrive earlier for celebrity autographs, you can ask the front desk or bell services at your resort to call for a taxi.
• Don't miss the Stormtroopers that stand on atop mobile columns inside the park entrance. Their mission—to keep all “Rebel Scum” out. It's great fun to watch them heckling the crowd entering the park. If you miss the opening show, the Stormtroopers will also be patrolling the Star Wars Weekend stage later in the day, as well as appearing in the "Stars of the Saga" pre-show at Premiere Theater.
• For Star Wars Weekends information, to get your questions answered, and to sign up for some events, visit the ABC Sound Studio entrance area.
• This is a very crowded event and you simply will not be able to do it all in a single day. As such, you'll need to decide what is most important to you ahead of time and do those things first. If you have children eager to take part in the Star Wars activities such as the Jedi Training Academy and Padawan Mind Challenge, plan to arrive early and sign up for these events as soon as the park opens. Want to ride the popular rides, make sure to get a Fastpass+ in advance for Toy Story Mania and ride Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster as soon as you can. Then relax and take in some of the Star Wars fun. If you would like photos with some of the Star Wars-themed characters such as Jedi Mickey line up early; consistently, Darth Vader seems the most popular with the longest lines. If you're looking for "limited edition" Star Wars merchandise, buy it early before it sells out!
• At park opening, some children will be chosen to ride in the Legends of the Force Motorcade. But whether you're family is chosen or not, you'll want to get a great seat for this procession of costumed Star Wars characters and Star Wars celebrities. The motorcade includes special vehicles such as the X-Wing fighter in which Mickey rides. Also represented in the parade are the 501st Legion: Vader’s Fist, a fan-run community of people who dress in elaborate Star Wars costumes. For a curbside seat, stakeout your spot at least an hour ahead of time and at least 90 minutes in advance for a front row seat. If you can't get close enough for viewing, the parade is also simulcast on the large adjacent screen at American Idol Experience.
• Dress up! Both children and adults are frequently seen in Star Wars costumes during this event. It can add to the fun! If you don't have your own Star Wars gear, a selection of Star Wars custom items are available at the event. There is also usually a face painting station that offers Star Wars creations in the Star Tours area.
• For an air-conditioned break off your feet, attend one of the celebrity shows at Premier Theater. Queuing up 45 to 30 minutes early should guarantee you one of the more comfortable seats in the lower section toward the front of the theater. Those who arrive later will end up in the bleacher-style seating.
• Make lunch or dinner reservations for table service restaurants early! These can fill up quickly and crowds will be extremely heavy at Quick Service food restaurants throughout the day.
• For Star Wars Weekends merchandise and limited edition Star Wars merchandise, check inside Darth’s Mall, the highly themed temporary merchandise destination located in Soundstage 1 between Studio Backlot Tour and Toy Story Midway Mania. On the opening day of Star Wars Weekend, waits to enter Darth’s Mall can be several hours or more due to the purchasing of limited-edition merchandise to a horde of resellers. There's even a FastPass line for this outside the park entrance in the morning with the lines to get Star Wars celebrity autographs, and believe it or not, it's often the longest line! After the first few event days, however, crowds thin down at Darth's Mall. Items consistently available for sale at this location include Star Wars artwork, shirts, hats, toys, collectibles, build-a-droid, build-a-light saber, personalized nametags (using Aurebesh) & iPhone cases, and Ashley Eckstein's "Her Universe" clothing. The "Cast yourself in Carbonite" experience is also available at this location. Don't forget to ask for your Annual Passholder discount on merchandise! Additionally, there are photo opportunities with Star Wars characters such as Luke, Leia, R2D2, C3PO.
• Darth's Mall is not the only location for Star Wars merchandise. Don't overlook Tatooine Traders at the exit of the Star Tours ride. In addition to purchasing general Star Wars merchandise, fans can build and name their own R-series Astromech droid action figures at the Droid Factory. The Droid Factory has a multitude of different pieces to create 3-3/4 inch figures! To get started, choose a dome, body and legs, offered in a variety of colors and styles. There are optional third legs and novelty hats that can be added. Guests can name their droids with sticker sheets provided at checkout. Also, don't miss the popular build-your-own light saber experience at Tatooine Traders. Children ages 4 to 12 can test their lightsaber skills next door at the Jedi Training Academy or even purchase a robe like the ones worn at the Jedi Training Academy at Tatooine Traders for about $50! Also, a lot of the same merchandise found at Tatooine Traders can also be found at Golden Age Souvenirs near the exit to ABC Sound Studio and it's usually less crowded. There are also carts throughout the park offering Star Wars Weekends merchandise. Any Star Wars Weekend-specific merchandise that remains is usually discounted the last week of the event.
• Use hashtag #StarWarsWeekends on Instagram and Twitter. You also can join the conversation online with the official event hashtag, #DisneyTheForce.
• You can build your own Star Tours Starspeeder 1000, Air Alderaan Starspeeder 1000, Bespin Direct Starspeeder 1000 and more with these printable crafts from Spoonful.com.