December 31, 2019
2019 New Year’s Eve Info
From celebrations in the theme parks to an upscale dining experience and dancing at Disney’s BoardWalk, take your pick of how you want to ring in the New Year. If previous years are an indication, park-goers will be given party hats and noise makers to ring in the New Year. There will also be elaborate firework displays that will decorate the skies over each park (except Animal Kingdom) at the stroke of midnight. Park visitors can expect extra live entertainment in the parks and should check their Times Guide for locations and times.
Be aware that the parks and parking lots often fill to capacity early on New Year’s Eve. Guests staying at Disney-owned resorts should plan on using Disney’s transportation to reach the parks. The Magic Kingdom almost always reaches capacity at some point during the day on New Year’s Eve. TheMouseForLess recommends arriving at your preferred park early and staying throughout the day. Park hopping is not advised and may not be permitted on New Year’s Eve. While the Walt Disney World Resort guarantees onsite guests will have park entry, it does not guarantee entry into a specific park. Late-comers may find themselves spending New Year’s Eve day at Animal Kingdom if they wait too long to arrive at the parks.
To make a long day more comfortable, pack warmer clothes for the evening and stow them in one of the theme park lockers (make sure to rent a locker early if you would like to get one). Also, guest often spend 16 hours or more in the parks on New Year’s Eve; we suggest getting plenty of sleep the night before.
If you are a Walt Disney World guest, make sure to make your FastPass+ selections well in advance so you’re assured of enjoying a few of your favorite rides, but don’t plan on making your park day all about the rides.
Make dinner reservations for one of the park restaurants well in advance, and make them for a little earlier than you actually expect to eat. Crowds can cause many park restaurants to run behind. After dinner, stakeout your spot for the celebration. As the day wears on, navigating crowds will become increasingly difficult, especially for those with small children, strollers, motorized scooters, or wheelchairs.
In addition, be prepared for high levels of traffic on New Year’s Eve night. As all of the parks begin to disperse after midnight, road closures and traffic pattern typically change around property, and particularly around Downtown Disney are. In the past, Hotel Plaza Blvd has been closed at the intersection with Buena Vista Drive with traffic routed along N. Buena Vista Drive towards CR 535. If your hotel is not located close by (preferably with direct walking access), try to find a nice spot to relax until after the major crowds have left the park. If you’re staying on property, leave the driving to Disney! The traffic created by 3 packed-to-capacity parks emptying out at approximately the same time can be a logistical nightmare.
New Year’s Eve is one of the busiest days (and nights) of the year in the parks. That being said, it can be spectacular, as long as you plan well in advance, know what to expect and come mentally prepared to handle the challenges.
New Year’s Eve at Magic Kingdom New Year’s Eve at Epcot New Year’s Eve at Disney’s Hollywood Studios New Year’s Eve at Animal Kingdom New Year’s Eve at Disney Springs New Year’s Eve at the Disney Resorts Special New Year’s Eve Dining
New Year’s Eve at Magic Kingdom
Magic Kingdom Park Hours
Magic Kingdom Park typically celebrates New Year’s Eve for two nights, on both December 30th and 31st, however complimentary noise makers and party hats will only be handed out on New Year’s Eve. One might think of December 30th in the Magic Kingdom as a full dress rehearsal for the big event, complete with live DJs and dance parties!
2019 Hours for Dec 30: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 a.m.
2019 Hours for Dec 31: 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 a.m.
Extra Magic Hours for resort guests:
December 31 – Morning: 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
Magic Kingdom Park Schedule Dec 30 & 31
- Parade – 12:00 p.m. & 3:00 p.m.
- Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks – 6:30 p.m. & 11:50 p.m.
- Check the times guide or our Holiday Happenings & Events page for other seasonal entertainment
See our New Year’s Eve Dining Section for New Year’s Eve meals offered in the Magic Kingdom.
• See the Magic Kingdom’s special New Year’s Eve fireworks on December 30th when they are also shown and the park stays open until 3:00 a.m. for resort guests. This park is insanely crowded on New Year’s Eve! Plus, you’ll be able to see a second New Year’s Eve celebration at Epcot or Disney’s Hollywood Studios. If you have your heart set on attending this park on New Year’s Eve, however, be sure to be inside before 10:30 a.m. as the park could close to some or all visitors for brief periods throughout the afternoon.
• Frontierland and Tomorrowland New Year’s Celebration Dance Parties will allow you to put on your dancing shoes and boot-scoot with a hoppin’ beat ‘til midnight in Frontierland. Or jump start the New Year with an upbeat get-together in Tomorrowland, blasting into 2018 with futuristic tunes. Dance parties will take place from 7:00 p.m. until midnight.
• While alcoholic beverages are readily available at outdoor kiosks and stands in Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Epcot, and Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom park does not serve alcohol with the exception of select beers and wines available at the Be Our Guest Restaurant, Jungle Skipper Canteen, Tony’s Town Square, Liberty Tree Tavern, and Cinderella’s Royal Table. Thus, while Magic Kingdom does get extremely crowded on New Year’s Eve, it tends to throw the most kid/family-friendly celebration.
• Hats and Horns will be distributed to Guests on December 31.
• Due to heavier crowds, consider dining during non-peak hours, avoiding noon until 2:00 p.m. and from 6:00 p.m until 8:00 p.m.
• To help with elevated crowds, Disney usually opens up some backstage areas for special entertainment and also as extra exits for after midnight. Also, consider staying in the park after midnight to avoid the rush to the parking lot.
• The New Year’s Eve fireworks in the Magic Kingdom are spectacular and are shot over the castle as well as all around the park perimeter. Even the midnight countdown is done in fireworks that form the actual numbers. Those wishing to view Magic Kingdom’s special fireworks from outside the parks can do so from the observation deck on the 4th floor of the Contemporary Resort, from the beaches (piped in music) of the Polynesian Village Resort, from the marina dock (piped in music) at the Grand Floridian Resort and from Transportation and Ticket Center along the walkway to Ferry loading area (breathtaking free views with piped in music), as well as restaurants such as California Grill or Narcoose’s, or for a large group a fireworks cruise (see Epcot tips for more info on special event firework cruises).
• During the holidays, many Walt Disney World Resort quick-service restaurants issue dining receipts with a coupon for 20% off merchandise at select shops during hours before 1 p.m. While coupons have an expiration date, they do not have to be used the same day they are issued.
New Year’s Eve at Epcot
Epcot Park Hours
2019 Hours Dec 31: 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m.
Park Schedule Dec 31
- Epcot Forever – 6:30 p.m., 11:40 p.m.
Live New Years Eve DJ Parties
Live DJ dance parties will be featured throughout Epcot on New Year’s Eve, including in Future World on the Fountain Stage and at World Showcase at America Gardens Theatre. There are usually dance parties in the courtyards at Italy, United Kingdom and China as well. Epcot will be awash in changing colors from lasers and even flames jetting into the air above some dance party stages. Temporary Bars will be available on the promenade as well. Complimentary hats and noisemakers are handed out in the evening, as well.
DJ Dance Party Schedule
Epcot will feature DJs in both Future World and World Showcase. They will be found from 7:00 p.m. until 1:00 a.m.
• Epcot’s midnight fireworks include a special salute to each country as, one at a time, fireworks are launched over each pavilion and traditional music plays. Look for more fireworks over the pavilions during the countdown to midnight and a huge firework finale. Additional space is usually set up for New Year’s Eve firework viewing on either side of the promenade walking from Future World to World Showcase.
• New Year’s Eve is the one night of the year where guests can take backstage bypasses to quickly get from Future World to World Showcase. Typically, there is a bypass open between Test Track and Norway-China and one between Imagination and the Showcase Pavilion next to the U.K. Epcot will also usually add some high-end restroom trailers between Future World and World Showcase in anticipation of crowds and open up the grassy area where Future World and World Showcase meet for fireworks viewing. Bring a blank to sit on and enjoy the show.
• Epcot is very popular with adults due to the sheer number of dining options at this park. There are also a couple of restaurants with a great view of the nighttime fireworks spectacular. None will guarantee a window or patio seat, but if you book your reservation at Spice Road Table in Morocco or Rose and Crown Tavern in the United Kingdom about 2 hours prior to the show, you might be lucky enough to score a prime viewing spot. Whatever your choice, make sure to make your dinner reservations well in advance.
• For a uniquely different way for a group to see Epcot’s firework finale, consider booking a private fireworks cruise, complete with champagne! Securing one of these cruises is not for the faint of heart, however. Disney doesn’t announce when it will begin taking reservations for special event fireworks cruises and availability is extremely limited. We suggest calling Disney’s Recreation line (407-WDW-PLAY) as soon as phone lines open (7 a.m. EST) each morning, every day beginning six months out for a midnight boat. Yes, you heard right, every single day!
• Hats and horns will be distributed and will last until supplies run out.
New Year’s Eve at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Disney’s Hollywood Studios Park Hours
2019 Hours Dec 31: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.
Park Schedule Dec 31
- Fantasmic – 9:00 p.m.
- Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM! Fireworks Spectacular – 8:00 p.m.
- Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular – 12:00 a.m.
See our New Year’s Eve Dining Section for special meals and celebrations offered at Disney’s Hollywood Studios Restaurants.
• Of the 3 parks with midnight fireworks displays, historically, Disney’s Hollywood Studios tends to be a little less crowded than the rest.
• For the best view of Disney’s Hollywood Studios fireworks, find a spot on Hollywood Boulevard facing The Chinese Theater.
• Temporary bar kiosks will be set up for New Year’s Eve at select locations throughout the park.
• New Year’s Eve crowds in the park can be challenging for groups. Bringing as many cellphones as possible is great way to reunited with any members of your party that may have become separated and good tip for all of the parks, especially during overcrowded events.
• Complimentary hats and noisemakers will be available
New Year’s Eve at Animal Kingdom
Animal Kingdom Park Hours
2019 Hours Dec 31: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.
Park Schedule Dec 31
Throughout the night, you’ll find special New Year’s Eve-themed food and drinks, as well as DJs in Asia, Discovery Island and DinoLand U.S.A.
As midnight approaches everyone can gather around Discovery Island and Asia to watch a special New Year’s Eve countdown on the iconic Tree of Life. In addition, earlier in the evening, you won’t want to miss Rivers of Light: We Are One.
Guests can also get into the fun with special pin trading opportunities, plus a limited-edition New Year’s Eve pin available beginning that evening.
New Year’s Eve at Disney Springs
There has been no fireworks at Disney Springs on New Year’s Eve for the past few years. For those looking for fireworks, please see our Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disney’s Animal Kingdom sections above.
- Live Performances – from live musicians to DJ dance parties, there’s something for everyone to ring in 2020.
Walt Disney World Resort guests should plan to take Disney bus transportation and drivers should allow extra time as heavy traffic is expected.
Additional Entertainment Info
- House of Blues – Visit the House of Blues website for information and tickets.
See our New Year’s Eve Dining Section for additional meals offered at Disney Springs.
New Year’s Eve at Walt Disney World Disney Resorts
If you plan on staying at a Disney resort, book your hotel as far in advance as possible. This is an extremely busy time of the year. Availability for on-property hotels is limited and will go fast. We’re not kidding! To make travel after the party easier, decide which park you will celebrate in and book the closest hotel you can afford or one with the best direct access. As an added bonus, resort hotel guests are usually treated to evening Extra Magic Hours in several of the parks on either December 30 or 31. This is great for those who would like to stay late and ride the rides with limited crowds.
If the crowds in the parks aren’t for you and you can afford the cost of staying at a Disney Deluxe resort, you’re in luck! Almost every Deluxe resort holds a celebration of its own. Registered guests at select Disney resort hotels will be treated to live music and entertainment. For example, the Grand Floridian resort usually has a “big band” playing in the lobby and the Boardwalk Inn has been known to throw a party on the resort’s lawn with a live DJ. Check with the front desk or concierge desk for details.
If you are looking for unique ways to celebrate New Year’s Eve at the Walt Disney World Resort Hotels to ring in 2020, there are a number of special events that will take place. They include:
- Feliz Ano Nuevo: A New Year’s Eve Party at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort: Celebrate the New Year with an elegant party at Tolédo – Tapas, Steak & Seafood. This new restaurant is at the top of the new Gran Destino Tower at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort. The menu will be inspired by traditional Spanish New Year’s cuisine. Entertainment offerings will include an electric flamenco guitarist, as well as a DJ in Dalhia Lounge. In addition, from the windows of the restaurant and the Dalhia Lounge balcony, you’ll be able to catch glimpses of the Disney fireworks displays in the distance.
- Mezzanotte at Topolino’s: An Italian Masquerade at Disney’s Riviera Resort: This will be an Italian masquerade ball which will feature a DJ, Champagne toasts, and traditional musicians and vocalists from the Italian Riviera. Guests can enjoy a buffet displays, á la carte tapas-style dishes, and action stations where Disney chefs will create your dish for you. To end the evening, you’ll be able to enjoy the Disney fireworks displays from a distance.
- Elegant Evening Under the Stars at California Grill at Disney’s Contemporary Resort: During the event, there will be a sleight-of-hand magician or the ability to have your portrait drawn by an artist. Guests will be able to indulge in delicacies and mingle with eccentric personalities, as well as a few familiar friends. To ring in the new year, you’ll be able to catch the fireworks from the Magic Kingdom.
- Countdown to Midnight: A New Year’s Celebration at Disney’s Contemporary Resort: This extraordinary event will take place in the Fantasia Ballroom at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. Guests will be able to enjoy tasting stations and an assortment of beverages that are inspired by Walt Disney World signature restaurants. There will also be a live band for dancing. Then, at midnight, celebrate with a toast at a special ground-level viewing area near the porte cochére for the New Year’s Eve fireworks display from the Magic Kingdom.
- Ink & Paint Club at Disney’s Contemporary Resort: This is a pre-party add-on for the Countdown to Midnight: A New Year’s Eve Celebration and will be a special reception that is inspired by the iconic Walt Disney Animation Studios Ink and Paint Department. You’ll enjoy a private area throughout the evening and, after 11:00 p.m., you can take advantage of an exclusive outdoor private viewing of the Magic Kingdom fireworks complete with desserts and a Champagne toast. You might even see some familiar friends hanging out for fun photo opportunities.
- Pixar Party: A New Year’s Celebration: Located on the second floor of Disney’s Contemporary Resort, two ballrooms will be transformed to immerse you in the imaginative world of Pixar. During the evening, you’ll be able to meet some of your favorite characters, go to Boot Camp with Sarge, dance with an interactive DJ, and enjoy other fun-filled activities. There will be a Pixar-inspired buffet featuring dishes like Ratatouille, slow roasted beef tenderloin, white cheddar baked mac and cheese, crème brûlée tarts and much more. At the end of the night, you’ll be able to enjoy the spectacular New Year’s Eve fireworks from the Magic Kingdom. This event occurs on December 30. This event is sold out for December 31.
- New Year’s Eve at Flying Fish: Dine on a multi-course, prix fixe menu created by award-winning Chef Tim Majoras. Seatings are available from 5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. on December 31, with a sustainable seafood tower and intermezzo included in the second seating.
- Disney’s BoardWalk Countdown to 2020 at Atlantic Dance Hall: Kick off the brand-new year with rockin’ music, tasty treats, and more. This festive holiday celebration includes views of the Epcot Fireworks a live DJ, party hats and horns, a confetti drop, a mouthwatering light-bite menu with savory and sweet eats, and a complimentary Champagne toast at midnight.
- Victoria & Albert’s New Year’s Celebration at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa: Enjoy an exquisite dinner at this AAA Five Diamond and Forbes Travel Guide Five Star restaurant. There will be a live harpist and you’ll start the evening with a Champagne reception and then enjoy a dégustation wine dinner.
- A New Year’s Eve Celebration at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa: Enjoy a special New Year’s Eve dinner waterside at Narcoossee’s at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. Reserve an earlier dinner time for a relaxed, casually elegant experience. Later dinner times will include an upbeat three-piece band and a dance floor.
To book any of these New Year’s Eve events, call (407) WDW-DINE.
For additional dining options at the Walt Disney World Resort, see our New Year’s Eve Dining Section.
Special New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day Dining
Special dining opportunities are offered at many resort and park restaurants for both New Year’s Eve and New Years Day. From lunches and dinners to a New Year’s Day brunch, there are more than a dozen spots for ringing in the New Year. For reservations or additional information for any of the meals or celebrations listed below call 407-WDW-DINE.
Monsieur Paul in the France Pavilion
New Year’s Eve Buffet Dinner – Sip and dip your way into 2020 by indulging in a lavish buffet of savory foods and decadent desserts at this ticketed event in World Showplace. Call (407) WDW-DINE (3463).
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
A special holiday dinner buffet called Minnie’s Holiday Dine at Hollywood & Vine will take place.
The following locations will offer special menus on December 31:
None at the Moment
Additional food and beverage carts will be located throughout Disney Springs serving cocktails, beer, wine, and small bites.
Walt Disney World Resorts
Special dining for ringing in the New Year is planned at the following Disney resort restaurants:
Disney’s Contemporary Resort
Disney’s BoardWalk Inn
Additional Dining Options
For those who don’t have reservations, you can always try dining at one of the many lounges across the Walt Disney World Resort Hotels including the lounge at Cítricos at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa; Crew’s Cup Lounge at Disney’s Yacht Club Resort, and Victoria Falls Lounge at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge.
Swan and Dolphin Resort
Guests can enjoy a variety of New Year’s Eve options at resort restaurants. For more Swan and Dolphin holiday dining information, visit the Swan and Dolphin web site.