What is Rider Switch? Well, sometimes every person in the family may not want to or may not be capable of experiencing an attraction. Rider Switch (it is also known as Rider Swap or Child Swap) is a wonderful and helpful feature which allows parents or guardians in your party to take turns waiting with a child who is too small to partake in an attraction or with a person who is unable or unwilling to ride. This is an excellent perk offered by Disney which allows all others in the party to experience the attraction.
This feature is available at select attractions at all four of the Walt Disney World Parks. This feature is not available on rides where infants and disabled are able to ride, such as it’s a small world and Pirates of the Caribbean. These attractions are accessible and an infant can ride on your lap.
How to Utilize Rider Switch
Follow these steps in order to utilize rider switch at Walt Disney World Parks, and save valuable time spent waiting in line.
- First of all, prior to entering the line queue, inquire with the Cast Member to ensure that Rider Switch is offered on that attraction.
- Once your party has reached the attraction, inform the Cast Member you will be utilizing Rider Switch. At which time, at least one adult (age 14 or older) and member of the party not riding will be given a Rider Switch pass. This will be done by touching your MagicBand or Disney Ticket to a touchpoint and will then allow those Guests access at a later time. At least one adult 14 or older must remain with the non-riding family member.
- The first part of your party rides the attraction.
- Once the first party exits the ride, they will then join the non-riding family member.
- Finally, the remaining adult who was waiting will then present their rider switch pass to the Cast Member and board the ride without having to wait in the regular queue. If this person waited alone with the non-rider, they may choose one person to ride with them. The original riders will now wait with the non-rider.
Attractions that Utilize Rider Switch at the Walt Disney World Theme Parks
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- The Barnstormer
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Space Mountain
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- TRON Lightcycle / Run – Note: All Rider Swap participants are required to be in a Virtual Queue boarding group or have an individually purchased Lightning Lane entrance for the attraction prior to boarding.
- Frozen Ever After
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind – Note: All Rider Swap participants are required to be in a Virtual Queue boarding group or have an individually purchased Lightning Lane entrance for the attraction prior to boarding.
- Mission: SPACE
- Test Track
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run
- Rock ’n’ Roller Coaster
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
- Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
Mouse For Less Tips
- The child not riding the attraction must be present at the time of requesting the Rider Swap ticket in order to take advantage of Rider Swap.
- For those who have purchased Disney Genie+ or the Individual Lightning Lane, you can still participate in Rider Switch. Do keep in mind that everyone in your party will need to have a Disney Genie+ or Individual Lightning Lane reservation in order to ride the attraction using the above tips for using Rider Switch.