At Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid, guests hop aboard a clam-shell and enjoy a ride through one of Disney’s greatest animated movies.
Opening Day: December 6, 2012
Type of Ride: Indoor track ride
Age Recommendation: All ages
Duration of Ride: About 7 minutes
Typical Queue Time: Moderate to long; peaks at about one hour on the busiest days
Single Rider Line: No
FastPass+: Yes, visit our FastPass+ Guide for more information on FastPass+.
Chicken Exit Available: No
Baby Swap Available: No
Type of Vehicle: Clamshell
Type of Restraint: Lap bar
Attraction Open During EMH: Yes; both morning and evening. See our Extra Magic Hours page for more information.
Ride Photo Available For Purchase: No
Height Requirements: None
Flash Photography or Video Allowed: No
Park Map of Magic Kingdom:
Other Rides/Attractions In the Area:
This attraction is located in the Magic Kingdom’s Fantasyland.
Shopping: An assortment of goods, including kitchenware, t-shirts, and plush dolls, can be purchased nearby at “Bonjour! Village Gifts” and “Big Top Souvenirs.” The former shop exudes a Beauty and the Beast (1991) vibe; the latter has a Dumbo (1940) feel.
Dining/Refreshment: Assorted fruits and dips are offered at the adjacent Prince Eric’s Village Market. More decadent snacks can be had nearby at Big Top Treats and Gaston’s Tavern. Guests can enjoy a substantial breakfast, lunch, or dinner at Be Our Guest Restaurant; ADRs are highly recommended for all meals at Be Our Guest Restaurant. Ariel often dines with guests during all meals at Fantasyland’s Cinderella’s Royal Table and Epcot’s Akershus Royal Banquet Hall. Be aware that ADRs are strongly recommended for breakfast, lunch, and dinner at both of these restaurants and that Ariel is not guaranteed to appear, though some assortment of Disney princesses is always present.
Restroom: Restrooms convenient to Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid can be found adjacent to Gaston’s Tavern.
Smoking Location: Smoking is permitted in designated smoking areas only. Disney parks are smoke free.
Did you know?
- Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid is one of six new attractions from the recent Fantasyland expansion, along with “Casey Jr. Splash ‘N’ Soak Station,” “Enchanted Tales with Belle,” “Pete’s Silly Side Show,” “Princess Fairytale Hall,” and “Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.”
- Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid is based on Disney’s 1989 film The Little Mermaid.
- Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid is housed in “Prince Eric’s Castle,” an elaborate structure that includes cascading waterfalls and numerous nautical touches and artifacts. You want thingamabobs? They got way more than 20!
- The queue of Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid is themed as a cavern, accessible because of low tide.
- In the queue, guests can partake in an interactive game involving virtual blue crabs. Guests literally point out uncorrelated items to the crabs, who then remove such commodities from Ariel’s collection.
- A Scuttle animatronic entertains guests in the queue.
- The ride vehicles for Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid are shaped like clamshells and are reminiscent of the Haunted Mansion’s Doom Buggies.
- Under the Sea – Journey of the Little Mermaid retells The Little Mermaid through projection effects and animatronics. Many memorable songs from the film, including “Part of Your World,” “Poor Unfortunate Souls,” “Kiss the Girl,” and, most prominently, “Under the Sea,” are incorporated into Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid.
- The footprint of Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid was previously occupied by “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Submarine Voyage,” which operated from 1971 to 1994. The Nautilus, the famed submarine from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954), is recreated as a rock formation in the queue.
- Guests can interact with Ariel throughout the day at the adjacent Ariel’s Grotto. FastPass+ is available for this experience.
- Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid is similar to “The Little Mermaid: Ariel’s Undersea Adventure,” which opened at Disney’s California Adventure on June 3, 2011.
- Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid is one of two current Walt Disney World attractions that originally debuted at Disney’s California Adventure, the other being Epcot’s “Soarin’,” called “Soarin’ over California” in Anaheim.
- Another attraction based on The Little Mermaid, the “Voyage of the Little Mermaid” stage show, is featured at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
A homage to the famed Mickey Mouse cartoon “Steamboat Willie” is carved into a rock at the attraction’s exit.
Sponsored Ad: Learn more about Hidden Mickey details and location throughout Walt Disney World in A Field Guide to Walt Disney World’s Best Kept Secrets .
Top 5 Tips for Under the Sea – Journey of the Little Mermaid
- Under the Sea – Journey of the Little Mermaid is a poor use of one’s initial three FastPass Plus reservations, but a solid secondary use. The wait times are on the long side, but the standby queue is immersive.
- Take in the architecture of Prince Eric’s Castle and the numerous details in the queue.
- Temper your expectations for the attraction proper; many of the animatronics are disappointingly simple.
- Prepare to have some catchy music linger in your head for a while after riding Under the Sea – Journey of the Little Mermaid.
- Consider watching The Little Mermaid prior to your visit such as to better appreciate this attraction.