Opening Day: December 6, 2012
Type of Ride: Character meet-and-greet
Age Recommendation: All ages; best for young children
Duration of Ride: About 3 minutes of interaction
Typical Queue Time: About 30 minutes to one hour
Single Rider Line: No
FastPass+: Yes. Visit our FastPass+ Guide for more information on FastPass+.
Chicken Exit Available: Yes
Baby Swap Available: No
Type of Vehicle: None
Type of Restraint: None
Attraction Open During EMH: Yes; both morning and evening. See our Extra Magic Hours page for more information.
Ride Photo Available For Purchase: Yes
Height Requirements: None
Flash Photography or Video Allowed: Yes
Park Map of Magic Kingdom:
Other Rides/Attractions In the Area:
This attraction is located in the Magic Kingdom’s Fantasyland.
Shopping: Various goods, including kitchenware, t-shirts, and plush dolls, can be purchased nearby at “Bonjour! Village Gifts” and “Big Top Souvenirs.” The former store is themed after Beauty and the Beast (1991); the latter store is themed after Dumbo (1941).
Dining/Refreshment: Assorted fruits and dips are served at the adjacent Prince Eric’s Village Market. More-decadent snacks can be purchased nearby at Big Top Treats and Gaston’s Tavern. Guests can enjoy a substantial breakfast, lunch, or dinner at Be Our Guest Restaurant; ADRs are highly recommended for all meals at Be Our Guest Restaurant.
Ariel often dines with guests during all meals at Fantasyland’s Cinderella’s Royal Table and Epcot’s Akershus Royal Banquet Hall. ADRs are highly recommended for breakfast, lunch, and dinner at both of these restaurants. Ariel is not guaranteed to appear, though some assortment of Disney princesses is always present.
Restroom: Restrooms convenient to Ariel’s Grotto can be found adjacent to Gaston’s Tavern.
Smoking Location: Smoking is permitted in designated smoking areas only. Magic Kingdom smoking areas can be found on our Walt Disney World Designated Smoking Areas page.
Did you know?
- Ariel’s Grotto is an elaborate meet-and-greet attraction. Guests enter a cave amidst stunning waterfalls and pass decorative walls and ceilings before encountering the featured mermaid.
- Ariel greets guests on her seashell chair. As a face character—she is overtly portrayed by a Cast Member, not completely enclosed in a costume—Ariel can engage in conversations with guests. If your child (or you) ever wanted to ask Ariel about life under the sea, he or she can do so here! Additionally, guests can pose for photographs with Ariel, and Ariel can sign autographs.
- Ariel’s Grotto is one of three Walt Disney World attractions based on The Little Mermaid, the adjacent Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid and Disney’s Hollywood Studios’ Voyage of The Little Mermaid being the others.
- A themed section at Tokyo Disneyland Resort’s Tokyo DisneySea Park, “Mermaid Lagoon,” is based on The Little Mermaid.
Top 5 Tips for Ariel’s Grotto Meet ‘N’ Greet
- Consider making FastPass+ reservations for Ariel’s Grotto for a shorter wait.
- Consider visiting Ariel’s Grotto during morning or evening Extra Magic Hours for a shorter wait.
- Interact with Ariel.
- Take some photos with The Little Mermaid.
- Consider watching The Little Mermaid prior to your visit such as to better appreciate this attraction.