September 1 – October 31, 2016
There’s just so much to do at Walt Disney World during the Fall and Halloween season. In addition to Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party in the Magic Kingdom, there’s lots to do on Halloween day at the Disney resorts, too. And, at Downtown Disney the “Fall” season is celebrated the entire month of October with “fall” seasonally-inspired Oktoberfest food, dance and pumpkin photo opportunities.
2016 Halloween Info
Magic Kingdom Decorations
The Magic Kingdom park will be decked out for Halloween beginning late August/early September with decorations on Main Street U.S.A. and in Liberty Square. Be sure to check out are the pumpkin citizens—scarecrow-like creations found in Town Square on Main Street U.S.A. You’ll find a fun pumpkin photo opportunity in Town Square, too.
Next, as you pass through Main Street, look around you at all of the beautiful fall foliage, as well as the carved pumpkins found in the upper story windows. You’ll also find some holiday-themed statues of your favorite Disney characters in costume in the Main Street USA cut through area located near the Town Square.
“Celebrate the Magic” Gets Spooky
Fans of the seasonal updates to the “Celebrate the Magic” castle projection show in the Magic Kingdom will be pleased to learn that the show will get an influx of Disney villains in time for Halloween. From the sea witch Ursula, lording over the poor unfortunate souls trapped in her underwater lair, to the demon Chernabog from Disney’s “Fantasia,” spreading his wings across the face of Cinderella Castle, this segment promises to be particularly dark and foreboding. Things will heat up as Maleficent casts a forest of thorns around the base of the castle, and transforms into a wicked, fire-breathing dragon who threatens to destroy the magic. The Disney villains sequence makes its debut in September and will be part of the “Celebrate the Magic” show through the end of October. Guests may view this nightly show before Wishes fireworks.
Catch HalloWishes Outside of the Magic Kingdom
With a Disney Villain theme, HalloWishes is quite possibly the best firework show offered at the Walt Disney World Resort. The show only takes place in the Magic Kingdom only during Mickey’s No-So-Scary Halloween parties. Unlike Magic Kingdom’s standard fireworks that are fired directly over the castle only, the party fireworks are 360 degrees around the Magic Kingdom perimeter as well.
Those wishing to view HalloWishes fireworks from outside the parks during Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party nights can do so from the observation deck on the 4th floor of the Contemporary Resort, from the beaches of the Polynesian Resort (with piped in music), from the marina dock at the Grand Floridian Resort (with piped in music) and from Transportation and Ticket Center along the walkway to ferry loading area (breathtaking free views with piped in music). Guests may also view the spectacular at a few select restaurants, such as California Grill and Narcoossee’s.
Guests may also consider taking part in one of the private Magic Kingdom firework cruises. New for 2015 are the Ferrytale Wishes: Fireworks Dessert Cruise. Via this cruise Guests can experience an exclusive dessert party and unique fireworks viewing experience on Seven Seas Lagoon where guests will enjoy decadent desserts, specialty beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and a one-of-a-kind perspective of HalloWishes.
Celebrate Halloween with Villains at Club Villain
Between September 2 and October 29 on Friday and Saturday nights, as well as on Halloween night, you can attend a special ticketed event called Club Villain at Sunset Showcase in Hollywood Studios. The event brings your favorite villains to you with performances, food, and “bewitching cocktails” twice per night.
Halloween Decorations & Activities at Animal Kingdom Park
In the past, park guests have been treated to Halloween themed arts and crafts and other Halloween activities at Rafiki’s Planet Watch.
Celebrate Bat Day at Animal Kingdom Park
Learn more about this iconic Halloween creature of the night on October 31st with special family and kids activities at Disney’s Animal Kingdom park. At Rafiki’s Planet Watch, guests can discover that bats are cool, not creepy. Guests can enter a “bat cave” and test their skills at identifying North American bats. Fun games help guests learn what bats eat and what challenges they face. Guests also can meet Disney’s bat keepers and find out how Disney cares for the bats that live at the Maharajah Jungle Trek at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
For the entire month of October, Guests can enjoy fall flavors, seasonal merchandise, and Halloween-inspired décor and entertainment throughout each of the four distinct neighborhoods at Disney Springs.
Seasonal offerings include:
- Photo Backdrops: Pose with your family with these not-too-scary props.
- Extra Entertainment: Keep an eye out for music-makers including a zombie drum corp and a strolling piano during your next visit to Town Center. While you’re at it, see if you can spot the ever-popular “Living Statues,” decked out in their Halloween best. Finally look for mentalist, Meraux, who’s extra-mesmerizing this time of year.
- Fall Flavors at Select Locations: Take your pick of seasonal sweets at Amorette’s Patisserie, D-Luxe Burger, or The Ganachery. Or, you can find a “BOO Box” of decorated cupcakes at Sprinkles, featuring a medley of vanilla milk chocolate, red velvet, black and white and caramel apple cupcakes. Also available this month: Cinnamon Apple Sweet Crepes at AristoCrepes, seasonal margaritas and craft brews at Dockside Margaritas, an Oktoberfest bratwurst at B.B. Wolf’s Sausage Co., and an Autumn Harvest Flatbread at Jock Lindsey’s Hangar Bar. You can also pick up fun specialty apples at Candy Cauldron and Goofy’s Candy Co. Because nothing says fall like a candy apple!
- Make-Up Magic: At Sephora, you can book a Halloween-inspired makeover with a pro artist. Sessions are available by appointment only with any $50 purchase. For kids, “Enjoy Your Face” offers Halloween-themed face painting in the Marketplace.
- Halloween Merchandise: At Basin, pick up Jack-O-Lantern, ghost, bat or pumpkin soap. Find costumes at World of Disney. Look for Haunted Mansion merchandise at Marketplace Co-Op. Save 10% off masks and fun hats at the Cirque du Soleil Boutique. Consider Disney Springs your Halloween shopping headquarters.
At STK Orlando, they will be hosting “Yelloween,” its first Halloween bash on October 31 at 8:00 p.m. Guests will head up to the rooftop bar and enjoy a two hour open bar, small bites, drinks specials, a live DJ, live performers, and more! Tickets are $50 a person. To purchase tickets, you can visit this link.
Events at Select Disney Resorts
Most Disney resorts will have some special complimentary Halloween activities for guests on Halloween day that include a costume contest, spooky arts and crafts, special showings of Halloween movies at the resort pool or beach areas and possibly even trick-or-treating. Things really get jumping at Fort Wilderness Cabins and Campground. Highlights take place October 30 and 31, with a decorated Halloween Golf Cart Parade and a Camp Site & Cabin Decorating Contest. It’s well worth the visit to Fort Wilderness sometime mid-October or later to see some of the elaborate decorations campers have on display.
All Disney resorts should be showing Halloween themed-movies the weekend of Halloween. Movies take place nightly at resort beach and pool areas. To see a schedule of movies playing for the current month at your resort, visit our Movies Under the Stars page and click on the “Activities” link for your resort.
Halloween time at Walt Disney World resort brings with it a host of seasonal-themed treats. Here are just a few that are available:
- Jack Skellington Cupcakes: Enjoy the Pumpkin King of Halloween Town in an entirely new way with your very own limited edition cupcake!
- Baked Goods & Confections: Pumpkin Fudge, Ghost Marshmallows; Mickey Pumpkin and Jack Skellington Cookies; Minnie Witch, Jack Skellington and Monster Caramel Apples; Candy Corn and Mummy Cupcakes and other assorted Halloween-themed Cupcakes and Cookies can be found at Main Street Confectionery or Bakery and at Big Top Treats in the Magic Kingdom or at Sweet Spells at Disney’s Hollywood Studios or Candy Cauldron and Goofy’s Candy Company in Disney Springs.
- Skull Apple: Can be found at various confectioneries throughout the resort.
- Pumpkin Cupcakes: Can be found at Gaston’s Tavern in New Fantasyland.
- Candy Corn Vanilla Ice Cream: With surprise candy corn at the bottom of the cone look for this treat at Storybook Treats in Fantasyland.
- Halloween Popcorn Containers: Can be found at popcorn stands at all of the parks!
In recent years, the Halloween assortment of merchandise at Walt Disney World has grown to include a variety of items including home and decorative goods, plush, Vinylmation, pins, souvenirs, apparel and more.
If you are headed to Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom Park, be sure to look for new pins created especially for this annual event.
Special Halloween Gift Card
Mickey lights the night with this new Disney Gift Card available at select locations throughout the Walt Disney World Resort. Guests at the Walt Disney World Resort who load this Disney Gift Card with as little as $15 will get an extra touch of magic, when certain elements on this Disney Gift Card glow in the dark. These and other Disney Gift Card designs are also available in a non-glow-in-the-dark version online at DisneyGiftCard.com.
Disney Resort Halloween Room Celebrations
If you’ll be staying at the Walt Disney World Resort this fall, Disney Floral & Gifts Dream Maker offering for Halloween. Mickey’s Spooktacular Celebration features a one-of-a-kind Halloween banner that lights up that will be hung on your resort room door to greet you when you return from the parks. Then, upon entering your resort room, you’ll discover creepy hidden surprises, cobwebs, candy and more, prepared by Mickey and Minnie. There’s also a special message from Mickey and a “ghostly” activity waiting just for you. After you’ve discovered special Halloween haunts lurking in the room, little ones can snuggle up with their new Mickey and Minnie Mouse plush, and rest on their personalized Mickey Mouse pillowcase! To learn more about Mickey’s Spooktacular Celebration at the Walt Disney World Resort, call a Disney Floral & Gifts Dream Maker 407-WDW-GIFT or visit Disneyflorist.com.