Celebrated on July 3-4, 2024
Get ready for a treat as Walt Disney World celebrates Fourth of July with a unique choice of fireworks shows at several different theme parks. To celebrate Independence Day, the Magic Kingdom will have special pyrotechnics and Epcot will add a patriotic “tag” to its fireworks spectacular.
Parks can fill to capacity early on July 4th. The Mouse For Less recommends arriving at your preferred park early and staying throughout the day. While the Walt Disney World Resort guarantees onsite guests will have park entry, it does not guarantee entry into a specific park, even if you have dining reservations. To make a long day more comfortable, pack any items you may need throughout the day and stow them in one of the theme park lockers at the front of the parks.
The following is details for 2023’s Fourth of July. 2024 info will be shared when released.
America’s birthday is celebrated on two days, as Guests will be able to enjoy Fourth of July festivities on both July 3 and July 4. Celebrate Independence Day with the spectacular “Disney’s Celebrate America! A Fourth of July Concert in the Sky.” The 14-minute fireworks spectacular rockets into the sky above Cinderella Castle at 9:20 p.m. on both nights. The firework show is set to an exciting musical score specifically created to stir a sense of pride in being American, while at the same time, inviting guests from around the world to feel part of the celebration.
Looking for other ways to celebrate Independence Day at the Magic Kingdom? Honor the country’s highest office by stopping at the infamous Liberty Square show, Hall of Presidents. The Hall of Presidents includes all 45 U.S. Presidents and traces the history of the prestigious office.
You also won’t want to miss the Flag Retreat which takes place at 5:00 p.m. each day on Main Street U.S.A. where Guests can pledge allegiance and hear patriotic songs as the flag is lowered. A veteran is selected for the honor and Guests looking to be a part of the show should check with City Hall to see if availability is open.
In 2023, on July 4 only, Magic Kingdom will host a military flyover above Cinderella Castle as a reflection of The Walt Disney Company’s nearly 100-year-long history of supporting the military, dating back to Walt and Roy Disney who both served during World War I. Weather permitting, pilots will take the aircraft over Cinderella Castle for an inspiring moment around 10:30 a.m. which will be visible to Guests at Magic Kingdom and at select Disney Resort hotels in the Magic Kingdom resort area.
Disney will be showing two performances of the Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade on both July 3 and July 4. Once at 12:00 p.m. and once at 3:00 p.m.
Guests can also participate in DJ dance parties throughout the park.
Park Hours July 3 – 8:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m.
‘Concert in the Sky’ Fireworks – 9:20 p.m.
Park hours on July 4 – 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 a.m.
‘Concert in the Sky’ Fireworks – 9:20 p.m.
4th of July Fireworks Finale at the Magic Kingdom
Mouse For Less Tips:
- The Magic Kingdom is the most popular of Disney’s 3 theme parks from which to see fireworks. The park almost always closes due to capacity during some portion of the day. If you can’t bear the thought of huge crowds, we have an alternate plan to experience the Magic Kingdom’s holiday fireworks. See the Magic Kingdom’s special Independence Day fireworks on July 3rd when they are also shown. Plus, you’ll be able to see a second nighttime spectacular at EPCOT. Or you can enjoy a quieter evening at Disney Hollywood Studios, or Disney’s Animal Kingdom on the 4th.
- The 4th of July fireworks in the Magic Kingdom are spectacular. They are shot over Cinderella Castle, as well as all around the park perimeter. The best view is anywhere along Main Street U.S.A., as long as you don’t go beyond the Partners statue (Walt & Mickey) in the hub. Or, grab a spot on the train station platform, and you might be lucky enough to get a seat for the show; you’ll have to stakeout your spot hours in advance, though. And, to view the fireworks over all 3 castles, view the fireworks from new Fantasyland.
- Those wishing to view Magic Kingdom’s special fireworks from outside the parks can do so from the observation deck on the 4th floor of the Contemporary Resort, from Transportation and Ticket Center along the walkway to Ferry loading area (breathtaking free views with piped in music), as well as restaurants such as California Grill, ‘Ohana or Narcoossee’s, or for a large group, a Magic Kingdom fireworks cruise. You can also catch the show at one of the beaches at Disney’s Polynesian and the Grand Floridian Resort. Keep in mind that sometimes these areas are closed to only resort Guests.
- If you are planning to watch the Magic Kingdom’s 4th of July fireworks from one of the resorts, you will need to use Disney transportation to arrive, as the parking lots at these resorts are usually closed to all but resort guests and those with dining reservations on the 4th.
- Other non-traditional patriotic offerings that guests can enjoy in the Magic Kingdom include a taste of traditional New England-inspired foods at Liberty Tree Tavern, a restaurant situated in a colonial-style inn that serves lunch and dinner daily.
- The Stars and Stripes and the Liberty Bell are the most cherished symbols of freedom in The United States of America. The Liberty Bell replica that anchors Liberty Square was cast for Walt Disney World in Annecy-le Vieux, France by the Paccard Fonderie, using the exact same mold as the original Liberty Bell. The Liberty Square bell stands eight feet tall, weighs two and a half tons, and is comprised of copper, tin, lead, zinc, arsenic, gold and silver. It was hoisted into its present location by a crane, just in time for the 1989 Independence Day Celebration. Let Freedom Ring!
- There are often Dance Parties in both Frontierland and Tomorrowland on July 3 and July 4.
An afternoon of live entertainment often kicks off with the Voices of Liberty, an eight-part, a capella group. They will perform on Independence Day at The American Adventure rotunda from the America song book. Guests may also see Disney Characters dressed in Independence Day attire during the day at The American Adventure.
The evening will end with a bang, literally, as Guests enjoy EPCOT Forever. The show features dazzling special effects, brilliant fireworks, and fiery torches all choreographed to a musical score. The performance begins at 9:00 p.m. on July 4.
Daily at EPCOT, the American Adventure spotlights American history and heritage. The show is a journey through important moments in America’s history. It is narrated by Audio-Animatronic figures of Benjamin Franklin and Mark Twain.
Park Hours July 4 – 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
EPCOT Forever – Disney’s nighttime fireworks extravaganza takes place at 9:00 p.m. For the Fourth of July, the show will include a patriotic Fourth of July grand finale called “Heartbeat of Freedom.”
Mouse For Less Tips:
- There are a couple of restaurants with a great view of the evening fireworks. None will guarantee a window or patio seat, but if you book your reservation at Hacienda de San Angel in Mexico, Spice Road Table in the Morocco Pavilion or Rose and Crown in the United Kingdom about 2 hours prior to the show, you might be lucky enough to score a prime viewing spot.
- The best spots to watch the fireworks in the park, if you’re not making restaurant reservations, are between the two gift shops in the entrance plaza of World Showcase. This area is often referred to as “Center Stage”. Other great viewing spots are on the the bridge between France and the United Kingdom, the Italy Isola (the waterside dock across from the Italy Pavilion) and the area behind Rose & Crown Pub. The latter two are often reserved for private parties and may be unavailable. If there are no open spots around the lake from which to view EPCOT Forever, you might try the elevated platforms in the Japan Pavilion. You can also try near the gift shop in Canada to get a better view.
- For those who prefer to bypass the crowds in the parks, the EPCOT resort area offers a unique view of fireworks. If you are planning to watch the EPCOT’s 4th of July display from any of the EPCOT Deluxe resorts (Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Yacht Club), you will need to use Disney transportation to arrive, as the parking lots at these resorts are usually closed to all but resort guests and those with dining reservations on the 4th.
- For a uniquely different way for a group to see EPCOT’s firework finale, consider booking a private fireworks cruise. Securing one of these cruises is not for the faint of heart, however. Disney doesn’t announce when it will begin taking reservations for special event fireworks cruises and availability is extremely limited. We suggest calling Disney’s Recreation line (407-WDW-PLAY). You’ll want to do this as soon as phone lines open (7 a.m EST) each morning, every day beginning six months out for a boat. Yes, you heard right, every single day!
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Disney’s Hollywood Studios will not be offering a fireworks spectacular. It will offer its nighttime extravaganza, Fantasmic.
Park Hours July 4 – 8:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Wonderful World of Animation – Nighttime projection show that takes place at 9:00 p.m. on the Chinese Theater
Fantasmic – Disney’s nighttime entertainment extravaganza takes place at 9:15 p.m.
Mouse For Less Tips:
- Based on past attendance, this should be one of the least crowded of the parks.
- Independence Day crowds in the park can be challenging for groups. Having cellphones is great way to reunited with any members of your party that may have become separated. This is a good tip for all of the parks, especially during overcrowded events.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
A special fireworks extravaganza is not held at Disney’s Animal Kingdom park on Independence Day.
Park Hours July 4 – 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Disney Resort Hotels
Disney Resort hotels get into the patriotic spirit with events and activities. From campfire cookouts at Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground to Movies Under the Stars or even a leisurely afternoon poolside. More information about special activities is available in each resort’s daily schedule.
For a limited time, Walt Disney World guests can dazzle their taste buds with patriotic bites and sips in honor of the nation’s birthday. This year’s treats include a Fourth of July Fruit Tart, a blackberry custard topped with fresh berries and a vanilla panna cotta popsicle, available June 27-July 4 at Contempo Café in Disney’s Contemporary Resort. At EPCOT, look for a Fourth of July Liege Waffle, available on July 4 only at Connections Café. There are also special confections at The Confectionary, as well as at Big Top Souvenirs at the Magic Kingdom.
Electrical Water Pageant
The Seven Seas Lagoon glitter with patriotic pride when the Electrical Water Pageant sets sail. The pageant features the American flag and red, white and blue stars set to patriotic tunes. It also features favorite sea creatures. Guests can view the water pageant nightly from various resorts surrounding the lagoon.
Times and events listed are subject to change. For the the most recent schedule, consult Walt Disney World’s calendar.