Animal Kingdom | Asia
Flights of Wonder Description
Admire a variety of exotic birds while laughing at corny jokes at this energetic theater presentation.
It was announced that Flights of Wonder will be closing on December 31, 2017. The show will be replaced by a show that features Russell and Dug from Up where they will discover species of birds from around the world in their newest adventure at the Caravan Theater.
Flights of Wonder Ride Information
Opening Day: April 22, 1998
Type of Ride: Bird show
Age Recommendation: All ages
Duration of Ride: About 25 minutes
Typical Queue Time: None; shows at scheduled times
Single Rider Line: No
FastPass+: Yes, visit our FastPass+ Guide for more information on FastPass+.
Chicken Exit Available: Yes
Baby Swap Available: No
Type of Vehicle: Benches
Type of Restraint: None
Attraction Open During EMH: No. See our Extra Magic Hours page for more information.
Ride Photo Available For Purchase: No
Height Requirements: None
Flash Photography or Video Allowed: Yes
Flights of Wonder Location
Shopping: A plethora of Asian-themed goods, including apparel, tea sets, jewelry, key chains, bags, and stuffed animals, can be purchased nearby at “Yak And Yeti Bhaktapur Market.”
Dining/Refreshment: Guests can enjoy either a counter service or full service lunch and dinner at the adjacent Yak and Yeti establishments. The counter service Yak and Yeti Local Food Cafes serves teriyaki beef bowls, stir fries, chicken sandwiches and salads, and egg rolls; and the full service Yak and Yeti Restaurant offers chicken wings, egg rolls, lo mein, ribs, and chicken and fish salads and entrees.
Restroom: Restrooms are situated on the Africa side of the Flights of Wonder theater.
Smoking Location: Smoking is permitted in designated smoking areas only. Animal Kingdom smoking areas can be found on our Walt Disney World Designated Smoking Areas page.
Flights of Wonder Fun Facts
Did you know?
- Flights of Wonder occurs at the Caravan Stage theater, which is themed after structures seen in the Himalayan Highlands. The theater is situated outside the fictitious village of Anandapur, on the “trade route” towards Africa.
- Approximately 20 species of exotic birds, including Blue and Gold Macaws, a Trumpeter Hornbill, an African Grey Parrot, a Rose-Breasted Cockatoo, a Great Horned Owl, a Red-Legged Seriema, a Harris Hawk, a Black Vulture, a Bald Eagle, and an East African Crowned Crane, are seen during Flights of Wonder. The birds are from various continents, not just Asia. Conservation messages are interspersed throughout the performance.
- Flights of Wonder is hosted by various cast members who double as bird trainers.
- Flights of Wonder utilizes audience volunteers. Early in the show, for example, a young guest is requested to feed a bird by tossing a grape in the air. Later, another young guest is called upon to answer math problems for a “grand prize”; a bird takes a folded dollar bill from an audience member before returning it to its rightful owner; and a pair of guests ventures to the stage to take photographs.
- Comedic value enters Flights of Wonder through either “Guano Joe” or “Guano Jane,” world famous tour guides who randomly wander into the theater and, ironically, suffer from ornithophobia.
- From opening until 2015, the Caravan Stage theater was covered by a canopy; a permanent roof was installed during a renovation in early 2016. On similar notes, Festival of the Lion King’s original theater in the park’s former Camp Minnie-Mickey section received a permanent roof in 2003, and DinoLand U.S.A.’s Theater in the Wild followed suit in 2006.
- Flights of Wonder is the only current attraction in the Animal Kingdom’s Asia section to have debuted with the park on April 22, 1998. The bulk of Asia was not completed until 1999, with Expedition Everest not commencing its thrills until 2006.
- Audience volunteers are also sought at the Magic Kingdom’s Enchanted Tales with Belle and Disney’s Hollywood Studios’ “Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!”
Top 5 Tips for Flights of Wonder
- Be prepared for edutainment.
- Due to a large stadium capacity, Flights of Wonder is not a good utilization of FASTPASS Plus.
- Flights of Wonder is shown at scheduled times throughout the day. Check the times upon arriving and line up outside the theater about 20 minutes prior to show time.
- Take some photographs of the birds.
- Have a dollar bill ready if you want to volunteer for the related demonstration.