Experience the action of Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) at the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!
Ride Information Restrictions Location Fun Facts Top 5 Tips Review
Opening Day: August 25, 1989
Type of Ride: Stunt show
Age Recommendation: All ages
Duration of Ride: About 30 minutes
Typical Queue Time: None; performances start at scheduled times during the day
Single Rider Line: No
Chicken Exit Available: Yes
Baby Swap Available: No
Type of Vehicle: Benches
Type of Restraint: None
Attraction Open During Early Theme Park Entry: No. See our Early Theme Park Entry page for more information.
Ride Photo Available For Purchase: No
Height Requirements: None
Flash Photography or Video Allowed: Yes
Fin Shopping: Adjacent to the amphitheater at “Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost,” where guests can browse a variety of Indiana Jones and adventure-based merchandise, including hats, drums, apparel, keychains, plush dolls, and action figure sets.
Dining/Refreshment: A plethora of restaurants can be found near the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served buffet style at Hollywood & Vine; the former two meals feature characters, such as Princess Sofia the First and Doc McStuffins, from the Disney Channel’s “Disney Jr.”, while dinner includes appearances from Minnie Mouse and other classic Disney characters. Meanwhile,50’s Prime Time Café serves home-style dishes, such as chicken pot pie, fried chicken, and meatloaf, and milkshakes; this restaurant is known for the servers “playacting” with diners, so inform him or her if you would rather dine regularly. Guests preferring a counter service meal can enjoy burgers, hot dogs, and chicken and waffles at Backlot Express; and hot dogs and sausage at Min & Bill’s Dockside Diner.
Restroom: Find facilities convenient to Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! near Backlot Express.
Smoking Location: Smoking is permitted in designated smoking areas only. Disney parks are smoke free.
Did you know?
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! highlights the filming process of various action sequences from Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981). Detailed sets and props adorn the stage, including fire, spikes, faux vines, the famed gigantic boulder, downtown Cairo, and an airplane. The catchy Raiders of the Lost Ark theme song plays, too.
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! utilizes audience participation for some of the scenes. Participants chosen at the beginning of the show must be at least 18 years old. Participants tell the audience their name and hometown.
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! was created in association with Lucasfilm, which previously collaborated with Disney in developing the “Captain EO” 4-D show and the “Star Tours” motion simulator. Star Tours, which originally debuted at Disneyland in 1987 and at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in 1989, was refurbished with randomized ride sequences in 2011 as Star Tours – The Adventures Continue.
- Although scheduled to open with the then Disney-MGM Studios on May 1, 1989, Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! the debut was officially delayed until August 25, 1989 after it was deemed that more rehearsals were needed. These rehearsals were open to guests.
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! is the oldest attraction at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
- To date, four Indiana Jones films have been theatrically released: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989), and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008). Also, a fifth Indiana Jones feature, scheduled for a 2019 release, was announced in early 2016.
- In 2012, Disney acquired Lucasfilm, including the rights to Indiana Jones and Star Wars, expanding the potential for these properties in Disney’s parks. As a result, major Star Wars expansions are underway for Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disneyland Park.
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! was the first Indiana Jones-based attraction to debut in a Disney park and also the only such theater attraction. An Indiana Jones roller coaster, “Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril,” which was also Disney’s first looping coaster, debuted at Disneyland Park Paris, then EuroDisneyland, in 1993; and immersive roaming simulators, “Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye” and “Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Crystal Skull,” premiered at Disneyland Park and Tokyo DisneySea in 1995 and 2001, respectively. The latter attractions use the same ride system as DINOSAUR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! appears in a 2,150-person amphitheater. This amphitheater was the largest in the park from its 1989 opening until 1998, when the approximately 7,000-person Hollywood Hills Amphitheater debuted to house the Studios’ long-running nighttime spectacular, Fantasmic!
- During 2005 to 2016, Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! was one of two stunt shows in the park, with Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show being the other. This car show, which closed during the park’s upcoming Star Wars and Pixar expansions, appeared in a 5,000-person amphitheater.
Top 5 Tips for Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! runs at scheduled times during the day. Because the times may not be the same each day, check upon arrival for specific show times.
- Guests wanting to participate as extras should arrive early and also draw attention to themselves by screaming, waving their arms, and/or jumping up and down.
- Parents with young children should note that Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! features loud noise and also several scenes of intense action.
- Consider watching Raiders of the Lost Ark prior to your visit such as to better appreciate this attraction.