Magic Kingdom | Frontierland
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad takes guests on “the wildest ride in the wilderness,” a wild but mild roller coaster ride featuring numerous curves, hills, and small drops.
Opening Day: November 15, 1980
Type of Ride: Roller Coaster
Age Recommendation: 7 and up
Duration of Ride: 3 minutes 26 seconds
Typical Queue Time: Long; often upwards of one hour
Single Rider Line: No
FastPass+: Yes, visit our FastPass+ Guide for more information on FastPass+.
Chicken Exit Available: Yes
Baby Swap Available: Yes
Type of Vehicle: Roller coaster cars accomodating up to two people per row
Type of Restraint: Lap bar
Attraction Open During EMH: Yes; evening. See our Extra Magic Hours page for more information.
Ride Photo Available For Purchase: No
Height Requirements: 40 inches
Flash Photography or Video Allowed: No
Park Map of Magic Kingdom:
Other Rides/Attractions In the Area:
This attraction is located in the Magic Kingdom’s Frontierland.
Shopping: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad merchandise can be purchased at the Briar Patch, adjacent to Splash Mountain.
Dining/Refreshment: Golden Oak Outpost and Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Café are situated near Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in Frontierland. The former eatery offers a variety of loaded waffle fries, while Pecos Bill’s specializes in Tex-Mex meals, including rice bowls, fajitas, and burritos. For those seeking a sit-down meal, the colonial-themed Liberty Tree Tavern is located in the adjacent Liberty Square.
Restroom: Restrooms are located near Frontierland’s Walt Disney World Railroad station, between Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Splash Mountain.
Smoking Location: Smoking is permitted in designated smoking areas only. Magic Kingdom smoking areas can be found on our Walt Disney World Designated Smoking Areas page.
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad Fun Facts
Did you know?
- An old west theme permeates Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad reaches a top speed of 30 miles-per-hour.
- In 2013, interactive elements were added to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad’s queue. These elements were based on a newly developed storyline, where an aristocratic prospector named Barnabas T. Bullion seeks greater fortune through his operation of the Big Thunder Mining Company at Big Thunder Mountain.
- Other versions of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad are featured at the Disneyland parks in California, Tokyo, and Paris. The most unique version is that at Disneyland Paris, where the experience occurs on what is Tom Sawyer Island at the Magic Kingdom after tunneling under water.
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was the second of the three mountain attractions at the Magic Kingdom to debut, following Space Mountain and preceding Splash Mountain.
A Hidden Mickey can be seen in the cavern to your right during the first hill climb.
Sponsored Ad: Learn more about Hidden Mickey details and location throughout Walt Disney World in A Field Guide to Walt Disney World’s Best Kept Secrets .
Top 5 Tips for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Due to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad’s popularity, FastPass Plus is well utilized here.
- The experience is wilder in the back rows of the train.
- Consider riding late in the day or at night for a slightly intenser experience.
- Of the Magic Kingdom’s roller coasters, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad has greater scare potential than Fantasyland’s “Barnstormer Starring The Great Goofini” and “Seven Dwarfs Mine Train,” respectively, but less scare potential than Tomorrowland’s “Space Mountain.” Keep this in mind when choosing the first coaster of your day,
- Take in the sights of Frontierland while enjoying the coaster.