Mobile Options for Trip Planning and Park Touring
In 2013, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts took the entire Disney guest experience to the next level by rolling out a collection of tools at the Walt Disney World Resort called MyMagic+ – giving guests mobile options for trip planning. A major component of MyMagic+ is the My Disney Experience website and mobile app, which gives guests the latest information on all Walt Disney World Resort has to offer. My Disney Experience gives guests the flexibility to plan as much or as little as they’d like to create the exact Disney experience they want. They can book dining and other experiences and reserve times for their favorite attractions, shows and more through an enhanced FastPass system, FastPass+. Once guests arrive, they can use their smart phones to spontaneously change their plans in the moment. Guests can also use My Disney Experience system to connect with family and friends to coordinate plans and share photos.
My Disney Experience App
My Disney Experience is a mobile application created by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Online that is currently available for free for the iPhone/iPod touch and iPad in Apple’s iTunes Store and Android smartphones at Google Play. The free mobile application is designed to help guests make the most of their experience while visiting the Walt Disney World Resort. Below are some of the highlights of the current app.
- The app includes state-of-the-art maps with GPS and in-park navigation that provide a vivid, accurate representation of the theme parks, resorts and other on-property points of interest.
- My Disney Experience also includes park hours, wait times, dining (menus, availability & ability to make reservations) and attraction information, a digital tip board and character locations and appearance times.
- Here & Now feature, which instantly shows attractions and events closest to your current location.
- Times Guide provides a simple look at key events and activities going on within the park; browse entertainment, including parades, fireworks, stage shows and performance times
- Some of the features require Guests to create an account and sign in to activate functionality.
- Build and manage your own personalized itinerary in My Plans, including dining reservations, personal notes and reminders, and view your reserved activities for the day.
- Share plans with others through Family & Friends.
- Scan your tickets and passes with your phone or tablet to link them to My Disney Experience
- View PhotoPass Photos. Guests with Memory Maker may also download photos to their mobile devices
Here are several handy features of the My Disney Experience App:
- Wait times and Fastpass information (including return times for Fastpass tickets) are not only available to those currently at Walt Disney World Resort, but anyone can check wait times from any location using the app once logged into their account.
- While actually at the Walt Disney World Resort, guests can get information about attractions, restaurants and other services, such as restrooms and baby care centers, located close to their location.
- Making dining reservations is as easy as clicking the restaurant of your choice on the map (or using the ‘Dining’ tab), selecting a time frame and choosing one of the available times offered. Please be advised that to make the actual reservation, you will need a Disney.com account.
- You can use the Mobile Ordering option to order food at Quick-service dining locations around Walt Disney World. This way your food is waiting on you when you arrive!
- The Attractions tab on the quick-access menu tells users what the closest attractions are (as well as their current wait times) and pinpoints them on the map. There’s even a button that takes Guests right to the FastPass+ selection screen for that attraction, if applicable.
- The Characters tab lists Disney characters alphabetically and tells Guests where they can meet them.
- The Dining tab lists restaurants nearby and includes links to view menus and to make reservations.
- The Restrooms tab helps Guests quickly find the nearest facilities.
- Using the Entertainment tab, Guests can find offerings throughout the day and add it to their itinerary to generate a reminder prior to show time.
- One particularly handy feature is the ability to sort characters and entertainment by schedule and attractions by wait time. Wait time categories include: no wait (0 min), short wait (5-30 min), moderate wait (35-60 min), and long wait (65 minutes plus), as well as “open throughout the day”. Also available is specific attraction information such as height requirement and whether EVC or wheelchair boarding is available, along with the current wait times.
Complimentary Resort-wide Wi-Fi for Your App
Shop Disney Parks
Shop Disney Parks is a free mobile app that allows guests to find, buy, and ship merchandise offered at Walt Disney World. After purchase, items are shipped directly to the purchaser’s home. There is also a feature “Find on Map” that shows where an item can be found in stock at Walt Disney World Resort stores. UPC codes from an item can be scanned with the app to find more information or to purchase an item and have it shipped home. Shipping is available to all 50 states. Anyone eligible for a DVC or Annual Passholder discount can sign in using My Disney Experience and the appropriate discount will be applied. The app is available in the Apple App Store and Google Play.
Guests with a resort reservation connected to My Disney Experience can also select Resort Hotel Delivery for items purchased through the Shop Disney Parks app. Orders make prior to 3 p.m. are ready for pick-up the following day after 12:00 p.m.
Guests who order from the app while physically in one of the four theme parks can select Park Gate Pick-up to have purchases delivered to the in-park package pick-up. Purchases much be made 3 hours prior to park closing and will be ready 3 hours after purchase.
Mobile Websites: Disney has also created two websites m.disneyland.com and m.disneyworld.com–both designed to deliver information such as that found on disneyworld.com, but optimized to work on cell phones phones and mobile devices. Minus the GPS ability to locate position, users will be able to access park hours, entertainment schedules, shopping and dining information and more with their browser-enabled phones at home or in the parks.
Mobile Online Dining Reservation System: Disney’s Online Dining Reservation System is simple to use, just access the Disney Dining section on Disney’s web site from your smartphone. A user is directed to the optimized version when their phone type is detected. Users can search by time and date, cuisine, location (e.g. a specific restaurant, theme park or hotel) and more. There’s also the ability to search for character and signature dining experiences. While at Walt Disney World, guests can also check for table-service availability at nearby restaurants using the location-based services on your supported device. Simply search disneyworld.com/dining from your supported browser and choose to view “map view” of dining results or click on the “Near Me” link. You will need to sign into your Disney.com account prior to making reservations.
Disney’s Social Media page gives information to help fans stay connected via social networks such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube and instantly find out what’s happening right now.
Walt Disney World Instagram: Disney’s latest social media platform will feature the best photos of the parks and resort taken by fans. You can follow them at @WaltDisneyWorld and use the hashtag #WaltDisneyWorld in your photos to see if they’ll repost your photo.
Walt Disney World Twitter: For Disney Parks twitter feed follow @WDWToday. Here you can see what special events may be happening around Walt Disney World during your visit. You can also tweet comments, suggestions, and compliments to this account. When complimenting a cast member use #CastCompliment and tag @WDWToday. They will make sure the cast member receives your compliment!