Walt Disney World Theme Park and Resort Closures and Rehabs
** All information is subject to change.**
Not all Walt Disney World Theme Park and Resort Closures and Rehabs listed appear on Disney’s official rehab calendar. For updated information on attraction closings, call 407-W-DISNEY (934-7639) just prior to your scheduled visit. Schedules below are meant as an informative rather than official guide and are gathered from a number of official and unofficial sources.
- Liberty Square Riverboat will be closed for refurbishment through TBD.
- Tom Sawyer Island is closed for refurbishment through December 21.
- Peter Pan’s Flight will be closing for refurbishment from January 7 through February 1.
- The Walt Disney World Railroad is closed as work is done on the Tron Coaster. The Tron-themed attraction similar to the roller coaster found at Shanghai Disneyland is coming to Tomorrowland and will be located in a new area near Space Mountain. The Tomorrowland Speedway will be closed for refurbishment from January 2 through May 17. The Tron-themed attraction is expected to open by 2021.
- Epcot will soon get a brand new E-ticket attraction within Future World based on the world of Guardians of the Galaxy. To make way for this new ride, Ellen’s Energy Adventure inside Universe of Energy closed on August 13, 2017. The new attraction will open by the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort in 2021.
- A new ride inspired by the film Ratatouille will be built in an all-new space in World Showcase’s France pavilion. The ride, called Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, will take guests on a dazzling chase across a kitchen with the sights, sounds and smells of Gusteau’s Parisian restaurant. This new attraction will open by 2021.
- The China Pavilion will be getting a brand new Circle-Vision show showcasing the majesty of China. This updated film will be added using a next-generation digital camera system to film a brand new, seamless projection show.
- The Canada Pavilion will be getting a brand new Circle-Vision show showcasing the majesty of Canada. This updated film will be added using a next-generation digital camera system to film a brand new, seamless projection show.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Disney Junior – Live on Stage has closed for a brand new show. Called Disney Junior Dance Party!, this new show will debut on December 22 and will be a live experience featuring the most popular Disney Junior shows including Mickey and the Roadster Racers, Doc McStuffins, The Lion Guard, and Vampirina. The new show will be a musically infused, interactive concert, hosted by Finn Fiesta and a DJ – named Deejay – who involve Guests in all the fun, including live appearances from some of your favorite characters, fun music from Disney Junior, and much more.
- A new game-changing attraction called Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway will open in the fall of 2019. It will feature an original story that will take guests on a journey inside the world of Disney Channel’s “Mickey Mouse” cartoon shorts and will utilize new technologies that will turn the flat cartoon world into an incredible dimensional display. This attraction will be located inside the Chinese Theatre and will replace The Great Movie Ride. The Great Movie Ride closed on August 13, 2017.
- A Star Wars-themed Land called Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will be coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios, allowing Star Wars fans to step into the stories from a galaxy far, far away. Plans to bring Star Wars to life include creating Disney’s largest single-themed land expansions ever at 14-acres. This authentic land will have two signature attractions that will transported guests to a never-before-seen planet with experiences including a customized secret mission on the Millennium Falcon and an epic Star Wars adventure that puts guests in the middle of a climactic battle. The Star Wars-themed land is expected to open in late fall 2019.
- Rafiki’s Planet Watch, including the Affection Section, Conservation Station, and the Wildlife Express Train has become a seasonal attraction.
- Cirque du Soleil La Nouba has closed permanently. Cirque du Soleil and Walt Disney World are working together on a new project that will entertain many more Guests in the future. The new show will draw its inspiration from Disney’s heritage of animation. It will celebrate Disney’s legacy of storytelling in Cirque du Soleil’s signature way, with a tribute to the one-of a kind craftsmanship that makes Disney so extraordinary.
- DisneyQuest indoor interactive theme park has closed to make way for the NBA Experience. The NBA Experience will be an expansive, one-of-a-kind destination will feature hands-on activities that put families and guests of all ages right in the middle of NBA game action. Guests will enjoy immersive NBA video productions and numerous interactive experiences, as well as a restaurant and a retail store. The NBA Experience is expected to open in the summer of 2019.
Disney’s Water Parks
- Disney’s Blizzard Beach will be closed for refurbishment through January 5, 2019.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
- A Rooms Refurbishment is taking place from mid-August 2018 – fall 2019 at the Jambo House. During this room refurbishment, it is possible that Guests may see or hear construction, but noise should not be heard from Guest rooms between dusk and 9:00 a.m.
Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
- Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort is currently under refurbishment. Recently opened were a sit down restaurant, Sebastian’s Bistro; a quick service location, Centertown Market; a pool bar, Banana Cabana, and Calypso Trading Post. Additional work is being done around the resort to prepare for Disney Skyliner gondola system. Any work most likely to cause a noise impact will not begin until 9:00 a.m.
Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort
- Pepper Market will see minor refurbishment work through the Summer of 2019. During this time, the quick-service restaurant will remain in operation. If Guests would like to experience one of the other dining locations, they can visit Maya Grill, Las Ventanas, Café Rix, Laguna Bar, Siestas Cantina and the newly reimagined space, Rix Sports Bar & Grill, featuring a variety of sandwiches, salads and refreshing beverages. All amenities will remain in operation, including the Dig Site pool area, La Vida Health Club, Salon & Spa and the Iguana Arcade.
- The Dig Site Pool, volleyball court, playground, Iguana Arcade and Siestas Cantina, will be closed for refurbishment from early September – mid-December 2018. While this work takes place, other exceptional amenities, including three leisure pools, dining and merchandise locations, La Vida Health Club, Salon & Spa and recreation activities, including Movies Under the Stars and Campfires with Marshmallows, will remain available.
- Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort will be transformed over the next two years. A new 15-story tower called Gran Destino Tower will be added with views overlooking beautiful Lago Dorado. There will be 500 more Guest rooms featuring suites and concierge level services, along with additional new features for Guests to enjoy, including a rooftop restaurant. The project will end in the summer of 2019.
Disney’s Pop Century Resort
- The Hippy Dippy Pool is scheduled to be closed for refurbishment January 2020-Early Spring 2020. During this time, Guests can use the Bowling Pool, Computer Pool and the kiddie pool. Also, Petals Pool Bar will be closed and Movies Under the Stars will be offered in an alternate location. Guests may notice construction noise while this refurbishment is underway, but the noise should not be heard from Guest rooms between dusk and 9:00 a.m.
Disney’s Riviera Resort
- Disney has announced its 15th Disney Vacation Club property called Disney’s Riviera Resort which will be located near Epcot. The resort will feature a rooftop restaurant that will have unbelievable views of the nighttime spectaculars at both Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
Disney’s Star Wars Hotel
- Disney announced that they will be building an immersive Star Wars-themed hotel that will be the most experiential concept ever. The hotel will be dedicated entirely to the galaxy of Star Wars, and guests will have a one-of-a-kind experience where a luxury resort meets a multi-day adventure in a galaxy far, far away.
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Starting November 11, Artist Point will be closed for refurbishment. Beginning December 16, 2018, Artist Point Restaurant will introduce a unique Character Dining experience every evening: an opportunity to meet Snow White, The Queen and other Characters in a setting that brings the beloved Disney film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs to life!
Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge
- Disney has announced its 16th Disney Vacation Club property called Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge which will be located in the former location of River Country between Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. The resort will feature a nature-inspired design.
Elsewhere at Walt Disney World Resort
- Disney confirmed that they will be introducing a gondola transportation system called Disney Skyliner. This new transportation system will give guests a bird’s-eye view of the Walt Disney World Resort and will connect Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios to four resorts – Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, Disney’s Pop Century Resort and Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort, as well the upcoming Disney’s Riviera Resort.