Disney Magic is the first ship in the Disney Cruise Line fleet. A “reimagineering” transformation of the Disney Magic took place during dry dock Sept. 7-Oct. 10, 2013 in Cadiz, Spain. The first cruise onboard the updated ship will be October 25, 2013.
Disney Magic Ship Facts
Birthplace Fincantieri – Marghera & Ancona, Italy
Maiden Voyage July 30, 1998
Ship’s Registry Bahamas
Tonnage 83,000 gross tons (84,000 gross tons after dry dock)
Length 964 feet (984 feet after dry dock)
Draft 25.3 feet
Height 171.5 feet
Speed 21.5 knots cruising speed (maximum 24 knots)
Passenger Decks 11
Capacity 2,713 passengers
- 256 Inside Staterooms (29%)
- 621 Outside Staterooms (71%)
- 259 ocean view
- 362 verandah (includes 22 suites)
Main Public Areas
- Atrium Lobby – Deck 3 (atrium spans three decks)
- Walt Disney Theatre (977 capacity; live original productions) – Deck 4
- Buena Vista Theatre (278 capacity; motion pictures) – Deck 5
- Preludes theatre concessions – Deck 4
- Shutters (Capturing Memories) photo gallery – Deck 4
- Guest Services – Deck 3
- Port Adventures – Deck 3
- D Lounge – Deck 4
- Wide World of Sports deck – Deck 10
- AquaDunk thrill slide – Deck 13 launch
- Goofy’s Pool family pool – Deck 9
- AquaLab children’s splash zone – Deck 9
- Nephews’ Splash Zone water-play area for children ages 3 and under – Deck 9
- Quarter Masters Arcade – Deck 9
- Up Beat retail shop – Deck 3
- Treasure Ketch, Mickey’s Mates retail shops – Deck 4
- It’s a Small World Nursery after dry dock – Deck 5
- Disney’s Oceaneer Club – Deck 5
- Disney’s Oceaneer Lab – Deck 5
- Vibe teen club – Deck 11
- Edge tween club – Deck 2
- Chill Spa for teens at Senses Spa & Salon – Deck 9
- After Hours – Deck 3
- O’Gill’s Pub sports bar and lounge
- Fathoms nightclub
- Keys piano bar
- Senses Spa & Salon – Deck 9
- Quiet Cove Pool – Deck 9
- Cove Café – Deck 9
- Signals – Deck 9
- Promenade Lounge – Deck 3
- Carioca’s main dining (471 capacity) – Deck 3
- Animator’s Palate main dining (471 capacity) – Deck 4
- Lumiere’s main dining (471 capacity) – Deck 3
- Palo adult-exclusive fine dining (116 capacity) – Deck 10
- Cabanas casual dining (455 capacity) – Deck 9
- Pete’s Boiler Bites, Pinocchio’s Pizzeria, Daisy’s De-Lites, Frozone Treats, Eye Scream quick service – Deck 9
The Disney ships are painted in Mickey Mouse-inspired colors – black hull, white superstructure, yellow trim and two giant red funnels, each with the Disney Cruise Line Mickey Mouse logo.
Disney Cruise Line was the first cruise line to have yellow lifeboats, instead of the traditional regulation orange. Disney was granted special permission from the U.S. Coast Guard to paint the lifeboats yellow, to keep with the special color theming of the ship.
Disney ships are the only cruise ships to have four captains – the ship’s captain, Captain Mickey, Captain Hook and Captain Jack Sparrow.
Disney ships offer free soft drinks any time of day or night, with a free 24/7 beverage station offering sodas, coffee, tea and water.
In a cruise industry first, most staterooms on Disney ships feature a split “bath-and-a-half” design, providing families the added convenience of a sink and tub/shower in one room and a sink and toilet in a separate room.
A leader in family entertainment, Disney is the only cruise line to first-run feature films, including films in 3-D, with movies premiering at sea on the same day that they are released on land.
Don’t worry about getting a chill! The swimming pools on Disney ships are heated when the water temperature drops below 75 degrees.
The Disney Magic was built in two halves… one hundred miles apart! Part of the ship was constructed in Ancona, Italy then towed 100 miles to meet the stern in Marghera (just outside Venice) to be perfectly joined and welded together.
Measuring 964 feet in length, the Disney Magic is longer than Main Street U.S.A at the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World.
The Disney Magic’s interior is in the art deco style, characterized by geometric designs and bold, solid colors.
Every Disney Cruise Line ship has an atrium lobby statue celebrating a classic Disney character. Mickey at the helm is the feature in the lobby of the Disney Magic.
For pricing and information contact The Magic For Less Travel