Walt Disney World Theme Park and Resort Closures and Rehabs
** All information is subject to change.**
Not all Walt Disney World Theme Park and Resort Closures and Rehabs listed appear on Disney’s official rehab calendar. For updated information on attraction closings, call 407-W-DISNEY (934-7639) just prior to your scheduled visit. Schedules below are meant as an informative rather than official guide and are gathered from a number of official and unofficial sources.
- Swiss Family Treehouse will be closed for refurbishment through September 24, 2016.
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will be closed for refurbishment through November 18, 2016.
- “it’s a small world” will be closed for refurbishment through September 15, 2016.
- No refurbishments at this time.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Pizza Planet is closed and will reopen as “PizzeRizzo” in late 2016. The restaurant will be re-themed around the Muppets and Rizzo the Rat who started in the Muppet Film, The Muppets Take Manhattan.
- A new Toy Story Land will be coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The 11-acre land will include a family-friendly roller coaster and an alien saucers attraction, in addition to a third track for Toy Story Mania to accommodate even more guests.
- A Star Wars-themed Land will be coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios, allowing Star Wars fans to step into the stories from a galaxy far, far away. Plans to bring Star Wars to life include creating Disney’s largest single-themed land expansions ever at 14-acres. This authentic land will have two signature attractions that will transported guests to a never-before-seen planet with experiences including a customized secret mission on the Millennium Falcon and an epic Star Wars adventure that puts guests in the middle of a climactic battle.
- DINOSAUR will be closed for refurbishment through October 16, 2016.
- Dino Institute Shop will be closed for refurbishment through October 16, 2016.
- Pandora – The World of AVATAR will bring the fantasy world of James Cameron’s AVATAR to life at Animal Kingdom Park. The new land will feature a new E-ticket attraction, AVATAR Flight of Passage, that will allow Guests to soar on a winged creature known as a Banshee over a vast alien world. Additionally, Rivers of Light, expected to open later 2016, will combine live music, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery on the natural stage of Discovery River (a Jungle Book themed show is now showing in this location in the interim). For more info, visit our Guide to Animal Kingdom’s Expansion.
Disney Water Parks
- Blizzard Beach water park will be closed for its annual refurbishment from October 23, 2016 through to December 24, 2016.
- Typhoon Lagoon water park will be closed for its annual refurbishment from December 25, 2016 through to March 11, 2017.
- Planet Hollywood will be closed for refurbishment until Fall 2016. With the renovation, the venue will have a fresh new look and feel, be expanded by 13,000 square feet with a new patio bar, new terrace, more outdoor seating and a new name – Planet Hollywood Observatory.
- Fulton’s Crab House has closed for a major remodel and will remain closed until Fall 2016.
- Disney Springs is undergoing a multi-year transformation. New and completed areas will open in phases, and the project is expected to continue through 2016.
Disney’s All-Star Sports Resort
- The Grand Slam Pool will be closed for maintenance October 10 until December 2, 2016. During this time, Guests may utilize the Surfboard Bay Pool.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village
- Soft Goods in guests rooms, such as curtains, pillows and bed spreads, will be replaced through January 24, 2017.
Bay Lake Tower
- Soft Goods in guests rooms, such as curtains, pillows and bed spreads, will be replaced through September 24, 2016.
Disney’s Beach Club Villas
- Soft Goods in guests rooms, such as curtains, pillows and bed spreads, will be replaced through August 17, 2016.
Disney’s BoardWalk Villas
- Room Refurbishments will take place through August 30, 2016.
Disney’s Pop Century Resort
- Room Refurbishments will take place October 16 through December 4, 2016. During this refurbishment, some Guest rooms in select buildings will be impacted, however any work that could potentially cause noise impacts will be limited to the hours of 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- The Computer Pool will be closed for refurbishment from October 31 – December 23, 2016. During this time Guests may use the Hippy Dippy Pool or Bowling Pool.
Disney’s Port Orleans Resort French Quarter
- Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory food court is temporarily closed for future enhancements. The refurbishment of the Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory is expected to be completed this fall.
Walt Disney World Dolphin Hotel
- Guest Room Renovations are scheduled to occur through September 2016. The renovation is expected to cost $125 million and include new furnishings and technology. Renovation work is scheduled to take place between 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. daily. No guests will be accommodated in the renovation area as to minimize impact on the guest experience.
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge and Villas
- Sturdy Branches Health Club will be closed for refurbishment through October 2016.
- Cub’s Den (Children’s Activity Center) will be unavailable through 2017.
- Hidden Springs Quiet Pool, Resort Beach & Marina, Playground and Fire Pit will be closed through 2017 for refurbishment. During this time, the recently-renovated Silver Creek Springs Pool, featuring a 67-foot waterslide and a water play area for kids, will remain open for guest use. Noise may be overheard while this work is being completed, but construction will not begin until after 9 a.m. Boat rentals will not be available during this time. Certain pathways, including the nature trail will be unavailable continuing into 2017.
Disney’s Yacht Club Resort
- Guest Room Renovations are scheduled to occur from October 31 – December 31, 2016. During this time, Guests may see or hear work in progress and certain pathways may be unavailable. To minimize any disruptions, work will attempt to be limited to 9:00 a.m – 5:00 p.m.
Elsewhere at Walt Disney World Resort
- ESPN Wide World of Sports has announced a new expansion coming to the complex, with completion of the project by mid 2017. The expansion will include seating for over 8000 guests, a performance and warm-up space, a new multi-use sports and entertainment venue with the ability to host 6 regulation basketball courts, 6 regulation volleyball courts or concert configurations. Concessions will be included throughout the building, along with an additional box office and entry to the complex.