Walt Disney World Theme Park and Resort Closures and Rehabs
** All information is subject to change.**
Not all Walt Disney World Theme Park and Resort Closures and Rehabs listed appear on Disney’s official rehab calendar. For updated information on attraction closings, call 407-W-DISNEY (934-7639) just prior to your scheduled visit. Schedules below are meant as an informative rather than official guide and are gathered from a number of official and unofficial sources.
- The Hall of Presidents will be closed for refurbishment through Fall 2017.
- Liberty Square Riverboat will be closed for refurbishment from August 1-10.
- Splash Mountain will be closed for refurbishment from August 28 through November 16.
- A Tron-themed attraction similar to the roller coaster found at Shanghai Disneyland is coming to Tomorrowland and will be located in a new area near Space Mountain. The attraction is expected to open by 2021.
- A new live entertainment theater will be added on Main Street U.S.A. that is based on the iconic Willis Theater in the 1920s Kansas City where Walt lived after he left Marceline. This will be an entirely new venue that will include world class entertainment. An opening date will be announced at a later time.
- Mission: SPACE and the Advanced Training Lab will be closed for refurbishment through August. In addition, a table-service restaurant will be built adjacent to Mission: SPACE where Guests will be able to will travel high above the Earth for an unforgettable dining experience. An opening will be announced at a later date.
- Coral Reef Restaurant will be closed for refurbishment from August 27-30.
- Epcot will soon get a brand new E-ticket attraction within Future World based on the world of Guardians of the Galaxy. To make way for this new ride, Ellen’s Energy Adventure inside Universe of Energy will close on August 13. The new attraction will open by the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort in 2021.
- A new ride inspired by the film Ratatouille will be built in an all-new space in World Showcase’s France pavilion. The ride will take guests on a dazzling chase across a kitchen with the sights, sounds and smells of Gusteau’s Parisian restaurant. This new attraction will open by 2021.
- The China Pavilion will be getting a brand new Circle-Vision show showcasing the majesty of China. This updated film will be added using a next-generation digital camera system to film a brand new, seamless projection show.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- A new game-changing attraction called Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway is coming. It will feature an original story that will take guests on a journey inside the world of Disney Channel’s “Mickey Mouse” cartoon shorts and will utilize new technologies that will turn the flat cartoon world into an incredible dimensional display. This attraction will be located inside the Chinese Theatre and will replace The Great Movie Ride. The Great Movie Ride will close on August 13.
- A new Toy Story Land will be coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The 11-acre land will include a family-friendly roller coaster and an alien saucers attraction. Toy Story Land is expected to open in the summer of 2018.
- A Star Wars-themed Land called Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will be coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios, allowing Star Wars fans to step into the stories from a galaxy far, far away. Plans to bring Star Wars to life include creating Disney’s largest single-themed land expansions ever at 14-acres. This authentic land will have two signature attractions that will transported guests to a never-before-seen planet with experiences including a customized secret mission on the Millennium Falcon and an epic Star Wars adventure that puts guests in the middle of a climactic battle. The Star Wars-themed land is expected to open in 2019.
- None at this time.
- Wolfgang Puck Cafe will officially close on August 1. A new Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill restaurant will open in 2018.
- Portobello Country Italian Trattoria has officially closed. A new concept will debut in the Fall of 2017 called Terralina Crafted Italian by James Beard Award-winning Chef Tony Mantuano. Terralina’s will feature sweeping waterfront views and the kitchen will serve as the centerpiece for Guests to gather around. In addition, a newly installed veranda bar located outside the main entrance will allow Guests to relax and sip on craft cocktails.
- DisneyQuest indoor interactive theme park has closed to make way for the NBA Experience. The NBA Experience will be an expansive, one-of-a-kind destination will feature hands-on activities that put families and guests of all ages right in the middle of NBA game action. Guests will enjoy immersive NBA video productions and numerous interactive experiences, as well as a restaurant and a retail store.
Disney’s Art of Animation Resort
- Disney’s Art of Animation Resort is currently undergoing refurbishments across the Resort. During this time, the Resort will be in full operation with all amenities available, including dining, merchandise and recreation locations. It is possible that construction may be seen or heard, but noise should not be heard from Guest rooms between dusk and 9:00 a.m.
Disney’s BoardWalk Inn & Villas
- Disney’s BoardWalk Inn & Villas is currently undergoing some refurbishment projects across the Resort. During this time, the Resort will be in full operation with all amenities available, including dining, merchandise and recreation locations. It is possible that construction may be seen or heard, but noise should not be heard from Guest rooms between dusk and 9:00 a.m.
Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
- Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort will see a reimagining of Centertown that will add more amenities to this dining and shopping marketplace. Old Port Royale Food Court, Shutters at Old Port Royale, Cabana Pool Bar and Calypso Trading Post will be closed from refurbishment from May 1. Work is expected to take place for two years. There will be a variety of dining options available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Centertown, a dining location, will serve an all-you-care-to-enjoy buffet for breakfast and dinner. A selection of grab-and-go meals will be conveniently available for purchase in three island markets located in the Aruba, Jamaica and Martinique regions of the Resort. Additional a la carte offerings will be available at mobile food vending locations. Additionally, in-room dining will remain available. Any work most likely to cause a noise impact will not begin until 9:00 a.m.
Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- The Contemporary Feature Aquatic Play Area is currently under refurbishment.
Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort
- Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort will be transformed over the next two years. A new 15-story tower will be added with views overlooking beautiful Lago Dorado. There will be 500 more Guest rooms featuring suites and concierge level services, along with additional new features for Guests to enjoy, including a rooftop restaurant. The project will take approximately two years.
- Resort Room Refurbishments will take place beginning November 2016.
Disney’s Old Key West Resort
- Exterior resort maintenance will occur through July 27. Work will not begin until after 9:00 a.m. daily to minimize disruptions.
Disney’s Pop Century Resort
- Room Refurbishments will take place through May 7, 2018. To minimize any disruptions, work will be limited to 9:00 a.m – 5:00 p.m.
Disney’s Riviera Resort
- Disney has announced its 15th Disney Vacation Club property called Disney’s Riviera Resort which will be located near Epcot. The resort will feature a rooftop restaurant that will have unbelievable views of the nighttime spectaculars at both Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
Disney’s Star Wars Hotel
- Disney announced that they will be building an immersive Star Wars-themed hotel that will be the most experiential concept ever. The hotel will be dedicated entirely to the galaxy of Star Wars, and guests will have a one-of-a-kind experience where a luxury resort meets a multi-day adventure in a galaxy far, far away.
Disney’s Yacht Club Resort
- Captain’s Grille will be closed through September 30. During refurbishments, the Captain’s Grille is relocating to Ariel’s.
- Ale & Compass Restaurant will be a new restaurant for Disney’s Yacht Club Resort. It will feature a gastropub ambiance and will focus on a New-England inspired menu. The restaurant’s decor is inspired by a lighthouse and the main focal point will be an on-stage hearth oven. The restaurant is expected to open sometime in October and is replacing Captain’s Grille. The lounge next door will also see a makeover. It will be transformed with a new interior and will expand to include 58 seats. The lounge will offer up a new menu of classic cocktails and light bites.
- Disney’s Yacht & Beach Club Convention Center is under refurbishment. During this time, Guests may see or hear work in progress and certain pathways may be unavailable. To minimize any disruptions, work-related noise should not be audible from Guest rooms until after 9:00 a.m.
Elsewhere at Walt Disney World Resort
- Disney confirmed that they will be introducing a gondola transportation system called Disney Skyliner. This new transportation system will give guests a bird’s-eye view of the Walt Disney World Resort and will connect Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios to four resorts – Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, Disney’s Pop Century Resort and Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort, as well the upcoming Disney’s Riviera Resort.
- Disney is unveiling its new Minnie Van service which is a point-to-point ride-sharing transportation service that will help guests get around Walt Disney World Resort. Guests can arrange their own private Disney vehicle right from their smartphone, and a Disney Cast Member will drive them wherever they want to go around Walt Disney World.
- ESPN Wide World of Sports has announced a new expansion coming to the complex, with completion of the project by mid 2017. The expansion will include seating for over 8000 guests, a performance and warm-up space, a new multi-use sports and entertainment venue with the ability to host 6 regulation basketball courts, 6 regulation volleyball courts or concert configurations. Concessions will be included throughout the building, along with an additional box office and entry to the complex.