This post may contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase after clicking a link we may earn a small commission but it won’t cost you a penny more! Read our full disclosure policy here.
Walt Disney World News
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios will celebrate Lightning McQueen Day on September 5 with special-edition desserts sold at ABC Commissary, Rosie’s All-American Café, and Trolley Car Café. Pick up a Lightning McQueen Cake: a peanut butter and chocolate cake with a red chocolate ganache topping or Lightning McQueen Mousse: a vanilla and chocolate swirl cookie topped with chocolate mousse covered in red chocolate ganache. Each item will cost $4.99.
- Refurbishment work will begin at Tatooine Traders on September 5. Tatooine Traders will remain open for the duration of the refurbishment, hover, Amazing Pictures and the Droid Factory station will no longer be available. Guests looking for these offerings will still be able to find Amazing Pictures in the Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster shop, and Droid Factory in Star Wars Launch Bay. The reimagining of Tatooine Traders is expected to be complete in mid-October.
- Speaking of Star Wars, the Walt Disney World Resort shared additional details for Oga’s Cantina, a new lounge that will be serving Guests, when it opens in 2019 in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. This stop will be run by an intriguing alien proprietor, Oga Garra and the cantina adheres to a strict code of conduct that tries to keep its unruly patrons in check. Patrons of the cantina come from across the galaxy to sample the famous concoctions created with exotic ingredients using “otherworldly” methods, served in unique vessels. With choices for kids and libations for adults, the cantina will make for a great stop! Musical entertainment at this cantina will be provided courtesy of RX-24, the former StarSpeeder 3000 pilot droid (who we first met in Star Tours). Oga’s Cantina opens its doors at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in late 2019.
- The Kringla Bakeri has reopened at Epcot. The snack stop has seen an expansion in the ordering area. Familiar menu items like School Bread, Lefse, Norwegian Kringla, Berry Cream Puff and Viking Chocolate Mousse all remain on the menu.
- Disney is introducing a new kind of character dining experience at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. Beginning this winter, Storybook Dining at Artist Point will bring an immersive character dinner experience to the resort hotel where Guests will venture into the Enchanted Forest from Walt Disney’s Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Guests will enjoy music and activities with Snow White, Dopey, and Grumpy as they enjoy a prix fixe menu, including shared starters, a choice of individual plated entrees and ‘sweet spells’ to finish the meal. Guests of all ages will top off the night with a chance to meet and pose with The Queen. More details on menu offerings will be shared soon.
- Last summer, the Minnie Van ride share service debuted to offer guests rides throughout the Walt Disney World Resort. Now, guests staying at any Walt Disney World Resort hotel can also use Minnie Vans for travel to and from Orlando International Airport. Those who wish to use the Minnie Vans airport shuttle service must make a reservation by calling 407-WDW-PLAY. Hours of operation for the shuttle service is for flight arrivals 7:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m. for flight departures 9:00 a.m.-12:00 a.m. Each Minnie Van can hold up to six passengers and eight medium-sized suitcases. Up to three complimentary car seats can also be provided and ADA accessible vehicles are available.
- After 20 years, it has been announced that Sammy Duvall’s Watersports Centre has closed. For those who may have made a future prepaid reservation, a refund will be issued to the credit card that was used for the reservation. In addition, if you maybe had a future non-paid reservation, you will be receiving a email cancellation notification. Sammy Duvall’s was located in the marina area of Disney’s Contemporary Resort and it allowed Guests to participate in unique watersports activities. These included parasailing, jet skis and other personal watercraft rentals, tubing, wake boarding, and water skiing. For those with questions about the refund process, you’ll need to contact 407-939-0754.