A favorite for many who visit Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge is the World famous Zebra Domes! These delightfully rich treats that have a sort of coffee-kahlua flavor, can be found at both Boma (where they originated), as well as in the refrigerated section of the Mara. To many, they are domes of heaven and they have reached the point of Disney cult status.
As for making them at home, it may take a while (there are a lot of steps), but when all is said and done, if you are a fan of the Zebra Dome, I think it will all be worth it!
Boma/Mara – Animal Kingdom Lodge
1 pound milk chocolate
¼ cup espresso coffee
5 egg yolks
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
6 sheets gelatin (One sheet of gelatin is equal to one teaspoon of unflavored powdered gelatin dissolved in 1/4 cup of water.)
1/2 cup Kahlua Liqueur
4 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup white chocolate ganache
1/4 cup dark chocolate ganache
1. Melt milk chocolate.
2. Whip heavy cream to soft peaks.
3. Mix egg yolks with sugar.
4. Soften gelatin sheets in cold water.
5. Mix gelatin with both the Kahlua and coffee. Set bowl over hot water bath to dissolve the gelatin.
6. Fold 1/3 of whipped cream into the chocolate.
7. Add the yolks, then the gelatin mixture.
8. Fold in the rest of the cream.
9. Pour mousse in a half-sphere silicone mold almost to the top.
10. Place sponge circle (1/4″ thick yellow cake cut in a circle) on top. Leave in the freezer to set.
11. Once hard, un-mold and place in glazing racks.
12. Make white chocolate ganache and chocolate ganache.
13. Put chocolate ganache in a pastry bag. Ladle white chocolate ganache to cover each dome and pipe a stripe design of chocolate ganache over the dome.
14. Refrigerate to allow the glaze to set.
15. Decorate the bottom edge with coffee crunch.
16. Place a chocolate covered coffee bean on the center of each dome.
Incoming search terms: