This post may contains affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase after clicking a link we may earn a small commission but it won’t cost you a penny more! Read our full disclosure policy here.
Walt Disney World News
- On August 13, Mission: SPACE will relaunch with a brand-new “Green Mission” and an enhanced version of the “Orange Mission.” The Orange Mission will continue to let Guests feel the force of an actual space launch en route to Mars where they’ll dodge meteoroids, slingshot around the moon, and attempt to land on the Red Planet, but it will be enhanced by HD video to make it even clearer. In addition with the more family-friendly Green Mission Guests will take an exciting orbit around Earth. On this new adventure, you’ll take in sites like the Hawaiian Islands, Italy’s “boot” and the Northern Lights, as seen from space, before finally landing at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. In addition this attraction is now more family-friendly. Younger astronauts can now ride because the height restriction will be changed for the Green Mission side with the addition of new X-2 booster seats allowing children 40-44” to ride.
- This fall, the area adjacent to Muppet Courtyard will reopen as Grand Avenue. Inspired by present-day Downtown Los Angeles, Grand Avenue will capture the spirit of that city with facades of trendy shops, lofts, restaurants, and other businesses utilizing former office buildings and warehouses that have been converted over the last couple of decades. Recently, as part of this transformation, the theater that houses Muppet*Vision 3D was named Grand Arts Theatre and given a new marquee inspired by a restored movie palace. In addition, a new food and beverage location called BaseLine Tap House will open. California craft ales, lagers and cider, California wines on tap, along with specialty cocktails will be the stars of the drink menu. Non-alcoholic options will include a gourmet lemonade and soda on tap. The restaurant will also feature small bites, including a Bavarian pretzel with mustard and beer-cheese fondue, spiced almonds or a charcuterie board featuring California cheeses.
- Starting October 1, Guests who visit Disney’s Animal Kingdom will be able to meet Timon. Also in October, Tarzan will leave the park. His final greeting with Guests will take place on September 30.
- Local Foods Café, the quick service location at the Yak & Yeti restaurant is now offering breakfast in addition to lunch and dinner. The new menu includes a variety of meat and egg sandwiches, a breakfast burrito, and breakfast tacos. Breakfast will be served from 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. daily.
- A Pirate’s Adventure ~ Treasures of the Seven Seas in Adventureland at the Magic Kingdom will now be available for Guests to enjoy from 12:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. daily.
- The Dress Shop is back at Cherry Tree Lane in the Marketplace Co-Op at Disney Springs. The Dress Shop draws inspiration from classic Disney characters and theme park attractions in their clothing including Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room, “it’s a small world,” Minnie Mouse, Snow White, and the Orange Bird.
- United World Soccer has been rebranded as Pelé Soccer. This soccer retail location offers jerseys from clubs and countries around the world, footwear, and accessories.
- Guests staying at a Disney Resort hotel are now able to use Disney’s Online Check-In service on the My Disney Experience mobile app. The Online Check-In service helps to expedite the Guests’ arrival by enabling Guests to start the check-in process up to 60 days before their arrival. Upon arrival Guests can bypass the front desk head straight to their hotel room, unlocking their room by using the MagicBands sent to them prior to their arrival. Through Online Check-In, Guests can make room requests, add credit card information and authorize charges, submit an estimated arrival time to help prompt room access, receive a notification when their room is ready, and more. Guests can access the Online Check-In service by downloading the latest version of My Disney Experience, now available in the App Store for iOS devices and Google Play for Android devices.
- The merchandise side of The Market at Ale & Compass is now open at Disney’s Yacht Club Resort. In this new location, Guests will be able to find a variety of clothing including Lilly Pulitzer and Tommy Bahama, souvenirs, snacks and beverages, and more. The Market at Ale & Compass is open daily from 6:00 a.m. – 11:30 p.m.