One of the most fun things that Universal Orlando Resort does every single year is their annual celebration of Mardi Gras. (I said fun….not terrifying, like Halloween Horror Nights is!) This year, due to needing to adjust how the resort offers this event, they are changing things up.
The resort will be offering Mardi Gras 2021: International Flavors of Carnaval. This event, which will take place daily at Universal Studios Florida from Saturday, February 6 and continue through Sunday, March 28, will be a celebration of Carnaval from across the globe.
Mardi Gras 2021: International Flavors of Carnaval will offer Guests the opportunity to enjoy an eclectic global food fest. There will be more than 70 delectable dishes and beverages available for purchase from 13 locations around the globe. Plus, vibrant décor will be found throughout the park – fit for a Mardi Gras king or queen.
There will be spectacular and intricately-detailed Mardi Gras floats found stationed throughout the park. This is the first time that this has ever occurred. Guests will also enjoy a Big Easy bash in the streets, as there will be energetic dancers and stilt performers in extraordinary costumes. Plus there will be brass band musicians playing fantastic tunes throughout. Oh and you can bet there will be countless beads available. And don’t forget to participate in a fun Mardi Gras Scavenger Hunt!
Mardi Gras Tribute Store
Guests certainly won’t want to miss a stop inside the newly-themed Mardi Gras Tribute Store. There will be three highly themed rooms to peruse, as well as purchase exclusive in-park merch and participate in photo ops. The rooms include:
- A hopping jazz parlor straight out of the 1920s with dueling pianos and bellowing brass
- A flower-filled nautical cemetery, where many sea captains were laid to rest
- A waterfront warehouse, with stashed smuggled treasures and trinkets
This culinary journey will feature Cajun fare and traditional Carnaval flavors from across the globe, including:
- Fan-favorite Cajun cuisine from New Orleans, such as a Crawfish Boil, Jambalaya, Beignets and other Big Easy delights
- Classic Carnaval dishes from the islands, such as Pernil & Mofongo from Puerto Rico, a vegan Pholourie from Trinidad and Tobago and Jerk Chicken from the Bahamas
- Pork Schnitzel Sliders and Bavarian Pretzels from Germany
- Paella Mixta and Leche Frita from Spain
- Belgium Liege Waffles from Belgium
- Plus other famous flavors from Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Cuba, Italy, France and more.
Take a look at the full menu offerings here.
For those looking to try a little of everything, consider picking up the Tasting Lanyard. The Tasting Lanyard will be available for purchase at the park.
Universal CityWalk and at the Universal Orlando Resort hotels will offer Carnaval-themed menu options, as well.
Safety and Health Protocols
Of course, Universal Orlando continues to implement its enhanced health and safety procedures. These guidelines are focused on “screening, spacing and sanitization.” and will be applied to all experiences taking place during Mardi Gras 2021: International Flavors of Carnaval. Practices include things like screening Guests and Team Members, enforcing social distancing, requiring face coverings, and limiting capacity. The resort will also be increasing the already-aggressive cleaning and disinfection procedures. Guests may remove their face coverings while actively eating or drinking, but must be stationary and maintain appropriate social distancing.
The most awesome part of all? All of the excitement of Universal Orlando’s Mardi Gras 2021: International Flavors of Carnaval celebration is included with admission to Universal Studios Florida!