It’s so chilly out, so tonight I want to make some good, old comfort food! Something that sticks to the ribs. So, I thought it would be perfect to try the Veggie Tater Casserole from Flo’s V8 Cafe found in Cars Land at Disney California Adventure. The dish is sort of like a Shepard’s or Cottage Pie, but all vegetarian! It sounds so yummy!
Veggie Tater Casserole
Flo’s V8 Cafe – Disney California Adventure
3/4 cup bulgur wheat
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2/3 cup diced onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 small cloves)
2/3 cup diced zucchini
2/3 cup diced yellow squash
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 1/2 cups vegetarian sausage crumbles
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 cups prepared mashed potatoes
6 deli-style slices cheddar or 3/4 cup shredded cheddar
- Place bulgur in a large, heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Set aside for 15 minutes, drain excess water, and set bulgur aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan.
- Add onions and cook until translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add zucchini, squash, and peppers.
- Cook, stirring often, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in sausage crumbles and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes more.
- Add bulgur to pan, stirring to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into a 9×9 baking dish, packing firmly with a spatula.
- Spread mashed potatoes over mixture, then top with cheddar.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and light brown at the edges.
- Let cool 3 to 4 minutes, then cut into squares and serve hot.