To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Epcot Food and Wine Festival, and to also celebrate Halloween this week, I thought I would share this recipe of the Pumpkin Mousse Trifle with Cranberries and Apricot-Orange Sauce. It’s the perfect treat to enjoy during the fall, so make it today. I know I’m going to!
Pumpkin Mousse Trifle with Cranberries and Apricot Orange Sauce
Epcot Food and Wine Festival 2011 – American Adventure Pavilion
1 store-bought spice cake mix, prepared per package directions and cooled and cut into cubes
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup apricot jam
1/4 cup orange juice
1 egg yolk (or 1/4 cup pasteurized egg yolks)
3/4 cup canned pumpkin pie filling
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Ocean Spray Craisins Original Dried Cranberries , plus extra as garnish
To make streusel:
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Line a sheet pan with foil; set aside.
3. Combine oats, flour, brown sugar and sugar in a medium bowl.
4. Add melted butter and stir until mixture is crumbly.
5. Pour onto prepared sheet pan.
6. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
7. Crumble into small pieces. Set aside.
To make apricot-orange sauce:
1. Combine apricot jam and orange juice in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Whisk together until smooth.
3. Set aside.
To make pumpkin mousse:
1. Combine egg yolk and pumpkin pie filling in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Place white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.
3. Microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stopping every 30 seconds to stir.
4. Stir melted white chocolate into pumpkin mixture.
5. Using an electric mixer on high speed, whip cream in a medium mixing bowl until stiff peaks form.
6. Gently fold whipped cream into pumpkin mixture.
To assemble trifle:
1. Place a dollop of mousse at the bottom of a serving dish.
2. Top with Craisins dried cranberries and a drizzle of sauce.
3. Place a few cubes of cake over mousse.
4. Top with another layer of mousse, Craisins and sauce, then top with streusel.
5. Garnish with a few Craisins on top.