With Father’s Day being right around the corner, here are some fun activities beyond the usual park touring that Dads and families can enjoy together at Walt Disney World.
- Head for the Wilderness! Fort Wilderness, that is! The Fort Wilderness Campground and Resort offers canoe rentals, bike rentals, horseback rides, and a fun Chip & Dale Campfire and Sing-a-long. My husband and daughter took a day off from the parks to rent a canoe. They enjoyed the tranquility so much that they decided to do it again!
- Pool Fun at Your Resort All resorts offer afternoon games at the pool and outdoor movies.
- Artsy Animation Fun with the Kids Take the drawing class at the Animation Academy in Hollywood Studios with Dad to enjoy creating a Disney animation masterpiece together. Frame your artwork side-by-side to display at home. This is a free souvenir of a fun time!
- Cupcake Crawl—Does Dad have a sweet tooth? Research the various cupcakes or desserts that are available along the monorail line resorts or in the parks, and then have the family sample a cupcake at each location. Vote for a family favorite! Another idea is to tackle the Kitchen Sink, an eight scoops of ice cream sundae, at Beaches and Cream together. Give Dad the honor of finishing the last bite!
- Around the World Showcase with Dad—Have some fun exploring the World Showcase with Dad! Challenge him and the kids to take a photo in every country posing with a hat from each country. This is a fun and free activity! Also, have Dad pick a World Showcase restaurant with his favorite cuisine for dinner. This should be done well before the vacation so you can make your Advance Dining Reservation early.
- Some Wild Fun—Pick up the Wilderness Explorers Game information at Animal Kingdom and make it a quest to complete the tasks together.
- Research some Riddles—Before the trip, have some fun researching riddles and jokes together. During the trip, make sure to do Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor in Tomorrowland and have dad text those riddles for use during the pre-show area. Maybe Dad will be “that guy” who steals the show?
- Take a tour together—For dads with older kids, consider taking one of the Walt Disney World tours together. My eye would be on the Wild Africa Trek, though any of the tours would be fun. My family has enjoyed the Behind the Seeds tour in Epcot.
- Don’t forget to end the day with a bang!—Take in Wishes, Illuminations, or Fantasmic at the end of a park day. These shows are the ones that are woven into the fabric of family memories that Dad will cherish for years to come.
What are special activities you have done to celebrate the dads in your family at Walt Disney World?