Although I AM dreaming of a Disney Christmas, I’ll be celebrating the holiday at home 1,000 miles away from Walt Disney World. That’s Ok, though! We can’t take ourselves to Walt Disney World for the holidays, but we can bring a bit of Disney to our own homes to enjoy at Christmas time.
There are so many ways to bring some Disney touches to your family’s holiday!
- Watch Christmas themed Disney movies, holiday specials, and the Christmas Parade at Walt Disney World on television. There are several Disney Christmas programs airing during the month of December, and your local public library may offer some of the Christmas movies on Blu-Ray or DVD for you to rent and enjoy. Our favorites are Mickey’s Christmas Carol and Prep and Landing, but there are many Christmas programs we watch each year!
- Hang some Disney Christmas ornaments on your Christmas tree! Some families buy an ornament as a special souvenir on each trip, which is a nice tradition! If you don’t buy ornaments while traveling, Disney ornaments are easy to find at local stores. Hallmark offers a nice selection of Disney themed ornaments every year. Disney ornaments are also readily available at various “big box” and pharmacy stores in many locations.
- Deck the Halls with Disney! Disney holiday decorations are just as easy to find as Disney Christmas tree ornaments are. Consider adding a Disney touch with themed stockings and other decorations throughout the house. Decorative yard inflatable characters are available in Disney themes as well as caroling characters, plush characters, etc.
- Be creative! If you don’t want to buy new decorations, perhaps you can make some decorations of your own. Pair a large wreath with two smaller wreaths to make a classic “Mickey Head” wreath to display. Enlist help from the family to make new ornaments for the Christmas tree. Even the youngest children can color a picture of their favorite character to cut and hang on the tree or use “pixie dust” glitter to enhance some old decorations and ornaments.
- Add a little Disney flavor to your holiday cookies and menus! Mickey shaped cookie cutters can be purchased at Disney Parks and online. When you make sugar cut-out cookies, do a few Mickey cookies for fun! Consider adding a recipe you have enjoyed on a Disney vacation to your holiday meal. Last year, we had the pasta salad from Animal Kingdom Lodge’s Boma with our Christmas ham and that was a nice addition to the holiday buffet!
Make the holiday season a merry one with some Disney fun, and have a wonderful Christmas!