Walt Disney World Closures and Refurbishments
- New – The Lunching Pad through August 1. The Lunching Pad will have limited serving window capacity throughout this work.
- Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover is closed through August 4.
- Astro Orbiter is closed through September 19.
- The Liberty Square Riverboat will be closed for refurbishment from August 4 – 8.
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic will be closed for refurbishment from September 8 – 19.
- Carousel of Progress will close for a refurbishment from September 22 – 27.
- Cinderella Castle moat has been drained. This work is being done as part of a larger project that will create a second ring around the current hub that adds more walkways and dedicated viewing areas for Magic Kingdom fireworks and parades, as well as sculpted gardens. This multi-phase enhancement project will be completed in 2015.
- The Fantasyland Expansion has now been completed with the new roller coaster called the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train which opened in Fantasyland on May 28.
- No refurbishments at this time.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- No refurbishments at this time.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Updated – Mickey’s Jammin’ Jungle Parade ended its run on May 31. Currently, there is no plan to replace this parade.
- “Winged Encounters — The Kingdom Takes Flight”, a new show involving flocks of macaws, will debut Summer 2014 on Discovery Island. In addition to seeing these colorful birds in flight, during up-close encounters, avian experts will share conservation stories about the macaws.
- Updated – “Festival of the Lion King” reopened at the Harambe Theater in the Africa section of the park on June 1.
- It’s Tough To Be A Bug will be closed for a refurbishment from July 7 – August 11.
- Disney Parks has announced a long-term relationship with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Animal Kingdom Park. The new Avatar-inspired Land will feature multiple attractions, entertainment, merchandise locations, restaurants and other immersive elements. In preparation for the new land, Camp Minnie-Mickey has closed permanently. Construction on Avatarland is expected to wrap up around 2017.
Disneyland Resort Closures and Rehabs
- Alice in Wonderland has closed for an extended refurbishment. In addition to routine maintenance, minor changes will be made to the exterior of the attraction. Alice in Wonderland is scheduled to reopen July 3.
- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage will be closed for refurbishment through late 2014.
- Space Mountain is closed for refurbishment through June 26.
- Matterhorn Bobsleds will be closed for refurbishment from August 25 – November 13.
- Club 33, Disney’s membership-for-a-fee restaurant located in New Orleans Square has closed for an extensive expansion. Both the past and the future will be embraced in the design elements of this expansion, which is expected to be completed sometime during the summer of 2014 with a new entrance and foyer located Disneyland’s Court of Angels (which is currently closed).
Disney’s California Adventure Closures and Refurbishments
- Grizzly River Run will be closed for refurbishment from April 21 through June 19.
- Typhoon Lagoon will be closed for refurbishment from October 26 through December 20.
Downtown Disney (WDW)
- Updated – Marketplace Co Op has now opened and features 6 unique boutique stores. The Marketplace Co Op is expected to open in spring 2014.
- Updated – Starbucks has opened a kiosk in Downtown Disney Marketplace by World of Disney. The second locations on the West Side has also opened. In addition, the Wetzel’s Pretzels and Haagen-Dazs on the West Side have now reopened.
- Downtown Disney will undergo a multi-year transformation into Disney Springs. New and completed areas will open in phases, and the project is expected to be complete in 2016.
Outside the Theme Parks
Continue reading »