Walt Disney World Closures and Refurbishments
- A Main Street USA bypass will soon be built to provide an alternative entry and exit to the Magic Kingdom. Facing Cinderella Castle, the bypass will be built behind the buildings on the right side of the street. There is currently no specific timeframe for this work to be completed.
- “it’s a small world” will be closed for a short refurbishment from December 2 through December 12.
- The Plaza Restaurant will close for refurbishment from January 5 to February 16, 2014.
- The Fantasyland Expansion is currently underway and is scheduled to open in phases through 2014. Fairytale Hall opened on September 18 in the former spot of Snow White’s Scary Adventure. A new roller coaster called the Seven Dwarves Mine Train will open in Fantasyland sometime 2014.
- Splash Mountain will close for it’s annual refurbishment from January 6 through March 21.
- Tomorrowland Speedway will close for refurbishment from January 6 through January 12.
- Casey’s Corner, on Main Street USA, will close for refurbishment from January 6 through February 15.
- A Character Experience featuring royal sisters Anna and Elsa from Disney’s upcoming movie, Frozen, has arrived in Epcot’s Norway Pavilion. Guests will also find a new gallery exhibit exploring how the culture and beauty of Norway inspired the filmmakers in the creation of Frozen.
- Tokyo Dining will be closed for lunch from November 2 – 30. The restaurant will remain open for dinner.
- Spice Road Table, a new restaurant in the Morocco Pavilion is currently under construction and is expected to open by the end of 2013.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Honey I Shrunk The Kids Movie Set will be down for refurbishment from September 3 – November 20.
- ‘Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show’ will be closed November 18 through to November 21 for refurbishment
- The Studio Backlot Tour will close for refurbishment from January 5 through March 1.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Festival of the Lion King will be moving to a new theater located in Africa by 2014.
- Disney Parks has announced a long-term relationship with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Animal Kingdom Park. The new Avatar land will feature multiple attractions, entertainment, merchandise locations, restaurants and other immersive elements to bring the world of Pandora to life. Construction expected to begin by 2013 and end in 2017.
Disneyland Closures and Rehabs
- “it’s a small world” will be closed for transition to Holiday overlay from October 21 through November 17.
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will be closed for refurbishment from January 7 through early 2014.
- Casey Jr. Circus Train will be closed for refurbishment from December 2 through December 12.
- Storybookland Canal Boats will be closed for refurbishment from December 2 through December 12.
- Fantasmic! will be dark from January 6 through February 13.
- Alice in Wonderland will be closed for refurbishment from January 6 through May 22.
- Haunted Mansion will be closed to remove holiday overlay from January 7 through January 17.
- Club 33, Disney’s exclusive restaurant located in New Orleans Square, will close on January 6, 2013 for an extensive expansion. The last available day for reservations for Club 33 dining will be January 5, 2014. Both the past and the future will be embraced in the design elements of this expansion, which is expected to be completed some time during the summer of 2014 with a new entrance and foyer located Disneyland’s Court of Angels (which is currently closed).
Disney’s California Adventure Closures and Refurbishments
- Tower of Terror will have reduced capacity now through January 1, 2014.
- Grizzly River Run will be closed for refurbishment from January 6 through February 13.
- Redwood Creek Challenge Trail will be closed for refurbishment from January 6 through February 27.
- World of Color will be closed to remove holiday overlay from January 7 through January 16.
Downtown Disney (WDW)
- Disney Quest, located in Downtown Disney West Side, will undergo refurbishment of it’s lobby from September 16 through November 19. During this time guests will enter and exit the venue through the Emporium Merchandise shop turnstiles.
- Wetzel’s Pretzels closed on October 20 and will reopen in mid-November 2013 with two kiosks – one for Wetzel’s Pretzels and one for Haagen-Dazs – near DisneyQuest Indoor Interactive Theme Park. Additionally, a Starbucks will open at Downtown Disney West Side next year in the current Wetzel’s Pretzels location. A Starbucks kiosk will also open near World of Disney at Downtown Disney Marketplace.
- Downtown Disney will undergo a multi-year transformation into Disney Springs. New and completed areas will open in phases, and the project is expected to be complete in 2016.
Downtown Disney (Disneyland)
- The Blink Store has closed for conversion to a new Starbucks location, opening sometime Winter of 2013.
- Typhoon Lagoon will be closed through December 21 for it’s annual refurbishment.
- Blizzard Beach will close for it’s annual refurbishment beginning December 22.