Walt Disney World Closures and Refurbishments
- Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover will be closed from June 2 – August 4.
- Astro Orbiter will be closed for refurbishment from June 2 – September 19.
- Updated – Carousel of Progress will close for a refurbishment from May 17 through May 25 and September 22 through September 27.
- The Liberty Square Riverboat will be closed for refurbishment from August 4-8.
- Cinderella Castle moat has been drained. This work is being done as part of a larger project that will create a second ring around the current hub that adds more walkways and dedicated viewing areas for Magic Kingdom fireworks and parades, as well as sculpted gardens. This multi-phase enhancement project will be completed in 2015.
- Updated - The Fantasyland Expansion is currently underway and is scheduled to open in phases through 2014. A new roller coaster called the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will open in Fantasyland on May 28.
- No refurbishments at this time.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- No refurbishments at this time.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Updated – Mickey’s Jammin’ Jungle Parade is slated to end permanently May 31.
- New – “Winged Encounters — The Kingdom Takes Flight”, a new show involving flocks of macaws, will debut Summer 2014 on Discovery Island. In addition to seeing these colorful birds in flight, during up-close encounters, avian experts will share conservation stories about the macaws.
- It’s Tough To Be A Bug will be closed for a refurbishment from July 7 – August 11.
- Disney Parks has announced a long-term relationship with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Animal Kingdom Park. The new Avatar-inspired Land will feature multiple attractions, entertainment, merchandise locations, restaurants and other immersive elements. In preparation for the new land, Camp Minnie-Mickey has closed permanently. Construction on Avatarland is expected to wrap up around 2017.
- Updated – “Festival of the Lion King” will reopen at the Harambe Theater in the Africa section of the park June of 2014.
Disneyland Resort Closures and Rehabs
- Alice in Wonderland has closed for an extended refurbishment. In addition to routine maintenance, minor changes will be made to the exterior of the attraction. Alice in Wonderland is scheduled to reopen July 3.
- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage will be closed for refurbishment through late 2014.
- it’s a small world is closed for additional refurbishment through May 29.
- Pirates of the Caribbean is closed for refurbishment through May 22.
- Space Mountain is closed for refurbishment through June 26.
- Matterhorn Bobsleds will be closed for refurbishment from August 25 – November 13.
- Club 33, Disney’s membership-for-a-fee restaurant located in New Orleans Square has closed for an extensive expansion. Both the past and the future will be embraced in the design elements of this expansion, which is expected to be completed sometime during the summer of 2014 with a new entrance and foyer located Disneyland’s Court of Angels (which is currently closed).
Disney’s California Adventure Closures and Refurbishments
- It’s Tough to be a Bug will be closed for refurbishment possibly through early May.
- Grizzly River Run will be closed for refurbishment from April 21 through June 19.
- New – Typhoon Lagoon will be closed for refurbishment from October 26 through December 20.
Downtown Disney (WDW)
- Team Mickey’s Athletic Club at Downtown Disney Marketplace has closed to begin conversion of the location to the new Marketplace Co Op that will feature 6 unique stores. The Marketplace Co Op is expected to open in spring 2014.
- Starbucks is slated to open in two Downtown Disney locations in 2014 – on the West Side in the former location on Wetzel’s Pretzels and a Starbucks kiosk will also open near World of Disney at Downtown Disney Marketplace in the Spring of 2014.
- Downtown Disney will undergo a multi-year transformation into Disney Springs. New and completed areas will open in phases, and the project is expected to be complete in 2016.
Outside the Theme Parks
Disney’s BoardWalk Resort:
- Kouzzina Restaurant by Cat Cora will be closing permanently after September 30. A new restaurant will open at the BoardWalk in late 2014.
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa:
- New – The Perfectly Princess Tea Party will take place at Citricos instead of the Garden View Tea Room from June 30 through August 29.
- New – Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto is a new lounge, based on the popular themed lounge at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, CA, opening at the Polynesian resort in 2015. The resort is also expected to return to its original name, ‘Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort,’ in 2015.
- Resort Renovations have begun at the Polynesian Resort that will enhance the entire resort and add a new Disney Vacation Club property to the resort. As part of these ongoing renovation projects, views in some Guest rooms have been impacted. In order to accommodate guests, Disney has made changes to certain room categories in impacted buildings. The renovation will impact views from some rooms in buildings 5, 9, 10 and 11. Also, a portion of the east parking lot nearest to building 11 may be closed. In addition to that, access to the beach area on the east side of the resort, as well as Sunset Pointe (the grassy hill overlooking the Seven Seas Lagoon, located between the east beach and the main beach near the Nanea Volcano pool), will be unavailable. Construction is expected to be completed March 2015.
- Moana Mickey’s Arcade has closed for an undetermined period of time. Guests are welcome to use the nearby Grand Floridian and Contemporary Resort arcades.
- Captain Cook’s is closed for refurbishment through sometime in July. An alternate Dining Experience is available.
- Great Ceremonial House Lobby will be under refurbishment through December 15.
- Trader Jack’s and Samoa Snacks is scheduled for refurbishment between May and late August.
- The Volcano Pool will be closed from July 28 through March 2015.
Elsewhere at Walt Disney World
- Disney’s Magnolia Golf Course will close for refurbishments from May 21 through June 4.
- Disney’s Oak Trail Golf Course will close for refurbishments from May 21 through June 4.
- Osprey Ridge golf course its pro shop and the Sand Trap restaurant closed on August 11, 2013 for a 10 to 12 month transition over to a course for the Four Seasons resort, which is currently under construction and scheduled to open in 2014. The Four Seasons resort is being built on the site of the old Disney Eagle Pines golf course. Also on that site is the new Disney Golden Oak residential community, whose residents will also have access to Osprey Ridge when it reopens.
Upcoming Events at the Walt Disney World
- Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival, March 5 – May 18.
- Star Wars Weekends, May 16 – June 15 (Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays Only).
- New – Harambe Nights, June 7 – August 9. (Saturdays Only. Hard Ticketed Event.)
- Car Masters Weekend, June 14 – 15.
- New – Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party, Select nights September 1 – October 31 (Hard Ticketed Event.)
- Night of Joy, September 5 & 6. (Hard Ticketed Event.)
- Tower of Terror 10 Miler Weekend, October 3 – 4.
- Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend, November 7-9.
- New – Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, Select nights November 7 – December 19. (Hard Ticketed Event.)
- Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend, January 7-11, 2015.
- Princess Half Marathon Weekend, February 19 – 22, 2015.
- Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival, March 4 – May 17, 2015.
- New – Expedition Everest Challenge, May 1-2, 2015.
Upcoming Events at Disneyland Resort
- Disneyland Half Marathon, August 29-30.
- Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend, November 14 -16.
- Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend, May 7-10, 2015.
- D23 Expo, August 14 – 16, 2015.