Walt Disney World Closures and Refurbishments
- Updated – The Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade gave its last performance in January, and will be replaced with the Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade March 9. The new parade will feature innovative new parade floats, vibrant costumes, and an original soundtrack with beloved songs from favorite Disney films, plus a parade theme song.
- Splash Mountain is closed through March 21.
- Cosmic Ray’s outdoor patio is closed as they enclose and add air conditioning.
- The Magic Kingdom Resort & Express Beam Monorails will close on weekdays between 11:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. for maintenance through late March 2014. During this work additional buses and watercraft will be available for resort transportation. The Epcot monorail will operate as normal.
- The Plaza Restaurant is closed for refurbishment through March 16.
- New – Swiss Family Treehouse will be closed for refurbishment from March 17-28.
- Pinocchio Village Haus is closed for refurbishment through March 31.
- Big Thunder Mountain will close for a short refurbishment from April 7 through to April 9.
- Pirates of the Caribbean will close for a short refurbishment from April 28 through to April 30
- New - Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover will be closed from May 3 – July 1.
- New – Astro Orbiter will be closed for refurbishment from May 3 through August 20
- New – Cinderella Castle moat has been drained. This work is being done as part of a larger project that will create a second ring around the current hub that adds more walkways and dedicated viewing areas for Magic Kingdom fireworks and parades, as well as sculpted gardens. This multi-phase enhancement project will be completed in 2015.
- The Fantasyland Expansion is currently underway and is scheduled to open in phases through 2014. A new roller coaster called the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will open in Fantasyland sometime Spring 2014.
- No refurbishments at this time
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- No refurbishments at this time
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Mickey’s Jammin’ Jungle Parade is slated to end permanently sometime in June.
- Disney Parks has announced a long-term relationship with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Animal Kingdom Park. The new Avatar-inspired Land will feature multiple attractions, entertainment, merchandise locations, restaurants and other immersive elements to bring the world of Pandora to life. In preparation for the new land, Camp Minnie-Mickey has closed permanently. “Festival of the Lion King” at Camp Minnie-Mickey will eventually reopen in an all-new theater in the Africa section of the park at a later date in 2014. Construction on Avatarland is expected to wrap up around 2017.
Disneyland Resort Closures and Rehabs
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will be closed for refurbishment through early 2014.
- Alice in Wonderland will be closed beginning March 10 for an extended refurbishment. In addition to routine maintenance, minor changes will be made to the exterior of the attraction. Alice in Wonderland is scheduled to reopen summer 2014.
- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage will be closed for refurbishment through late 2014.
- Splash Mountain will be closed for refurbishment from January 21 through February 28.
- Tom Sawyer Island will be closed for refurbishment from January 21 through February 28.
- Updated – Indiana Jones Adventure will be closed for refurbishment from March 17 through May 8.
- Space Mountain will be closed for refurbishment from March 3 through May 22.
- It’s a Small World will be closed through April 9 to remove the holiday overlay and other work.
- It’s a Small World will be closed for additional refurbishment from April 20 through May 29.
- King Arthur Carrousel will be closed for refurbishment from April 28 through May 8.
- Pirates of the Caribbean will be closed for refurbishment from April 28 through May 22.
- Club 33, Disney’s membership-for-a-fee restaurant located in New Orleans Square has closed for an extensive expansion. Both the past and the future will be embraced in the design elements of this expansion, which is expected to be completed some time during the summer of 2014 with a new entrance and foyer located Disneyland’s Court of Angels (which is currently closed).
Disney’s California Adventure Closures and Refurbishments
- The Little Mermaid will be closed for refurbishment from March 20 through May 8.
- New – It’s Tough to be a Bug will be closed for refurbishment beginning March 31, 2014, possibly through early May.
- Grizzly River Run will be closed for refurbishment from April 21 through June 19.
Downtown Disney (WDW)
- Marketplace Boat Dock closed on February 22 to facilitate construction on the new Disney Springs Marketplace causeway bridge. During the closure, boat service to Downtown Disney from Port Orleans will stop only at the Pleasure Island dock. Old Key West and Saratoga Springs will stop at the West Side dock. The Downtown Disney water taxi service will offer service between the West Side and Pleasure Island docks. The Marketplace dock closure is expected to last through late 2014.
- Team Mickey’s Athletic Club at Downtown Disney Marketplace has closed to begin conversion of the location to the new Marketplace Co Op that will feature 6 unique stores. The Marketplace Co Op is expected to open in spring 2014.
- Starbucks is slated to open in two Downtown Disney locations in 2014 – on the West Side in the former location on Wetzel’s Pretzels and a Starbucks kiosk will also open near World of Disney at Downtown Disney Marketplace in the Spring of 2014.
- Downtown Disney will undergo a multi-year transformation into Disney Springs. New and completed areas will open in phases, and the project is expected to be complete in 2016.
- Blizzard Beach is closed for it’s annual refurbishment and will reopen March 15.
Outside the Theme Parks
Continue reading »